• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Combi rig - This season’s rig nonsense/improvement

Simon Haggis

Senior Member & Supporter
I’ve basically fished the same rig but with varying hook sizes for the past 15-20 years now maybe.

Coated braid, stripped back at the hook end to allow a bit of movement. This is fished on a quick link so I can take off the hooklink and then pull the hooklink through a PVA bag to cover the hook point so I know the hook isn’t snagged in weed when it gets down to the riverbed.

Once the bag has been threaded on I then put rig putty on the hooklink to pin it down. This all takes a while and is a bit fiddly at 1am after another bream.

Last season I was trying out the Korda hook clips so I could change hooks without having to replace the hook length every time. I caught some decent fish so I know they work but I was always slightly wary about the hook paraphernalia getting bigger and bigger. I was sort of ok with that as I thought it would at least put off some bream but I keep catching them anyway.

I was using big size 4 hooks last season and now want to go down a few sizes and the hook clips don’t really work for 6 and 8s.

I’ve just got found this little thing which might be just what I’ve been looking for. Korum specimen quick snap swivels they’re called. Allows me to make up Combi rigs but instead of an Albright knott or a small swivel you have these clips.

The advantage of them being clips is that they allow me to remove the short hook link and thread on a new PVA bag. Or I can prep short braid hook links with pva bags on and just clip a new one on - no need to re-putty the main hook link as that stays on permanently.

It’s a lot cheaper than replacing the whole hook link each time and provides a good anchor point for some putty to stay in place - sometimes putty can slip down braid and end up on the hook so that’s useful too.

They’re 69lb breaking strain in the large size and I’ve tested a couple, the short braid bit goes before anything else which is as it should be. They re smaller than ESP size 11 swivels for reference.

Couple of pics to show what I’m on about with quite a big size 6 hook on, thought it might be useful to someone.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0235.jpeg
    IMG_0235.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 230
Re the whole PVA mesh bag attachment thing, have you tried this approach:

Clip in onto the lead, attach your pva bag and stick the hook into the mesh bag. Also great if you want to fish a long hook length as a 4ft hook length is folded back on itself, effectively making it 2ft long when you swing the rig/bag into position.

Those clips are simple, but brilliant 👍🏻

Clip in onto the lead, attach your pva bag and stick the hook into the mesh bag. Also great if you want to fish a long hook length as a 4ft hook length is folded back on itself, effectively making it 2ft long when you swing the rig/bag into position.

i’ve been using these . so simple , as you said .

For me I’d like my hook link to be safely laid out after the cast. I don’t want the hook and bait unfurling across the river bed in the flow as that’s where the risk of fouling weed can happen imo. I also want the rig to work right away without any slack in it.

I leave my baits in the water for 4-6 hours before recasting because I know they aren’t tangled. It’s just bream that forces me to recast this season!

I,ve just got found this little thing which might be just what I’ve been looking for. Korum specimen quick snap swivels they’re called. Allows me to make up Combi rigs but instead of an Albright knott or a small swivel you have these clips.
This works for me this last year; ESP Ronnie clips.
Hook replacement/bait attachment after dark takes seconds. Half a dozen end-sections in a small poly bag, a couple of fluoro leaders in another.
PS. The two inch section of 20lb braid + no knot on a size 4 + figure-eight, is the weak link when used with 15 lb HydroTuf mainline. On a size six or seven the hook will generally bend 1st if stuck on a rock.

This works for me this last year; ESP Ronnie clips.
Hook replacement/bait attachment after dark takes seconds. Half a dozen end-sections in a small poly bag, a couple of fluoro leaders in another.
PS. The two inch section of 20lb braid + no knot on a size 4 + figure-eight, is the weak link when used with 15 lb HydroTuf mainline. On a size six or seven the hook will generally bend 1st if stuck on a rock.
Your photo didn’t attach but I googled them and they look even better - the tungsten sleeve negates the need for the putty - even easier!

Have been using the ronnie clips like Adrian said for a while now simple but effective, only thing to be weary of is ensure the knot to the hook link is small so that the sleeve covers the clip properly

Hi men

The Korda little hook clip is a great idea for swapping hooks or threading bags on and re-attaching the hook .

Screenshot_20240812-155213.png

Hatter

I’ve basically fished the same rig but with varying hook sizes for the past 15-20 years now maybe.

Coated braid, stripped back at the hook end to allow a bit of movement. This is fished on a quick link so I can take off the hooklink and then pull the hooklink through a PVA bag to cover the hook point so I know the hook isn’t snagged in weed when it gets down to the riverbed.

Once the bag has been threaded on I then put rig putty on the hooklink to pin it down. This all takes a while and is a bit fiddly at 1am after another bream.

Last season I was trying out the Korda hook clips so I could change hooks without having to replace the hook length every time. I caught some decent fish so I know they work but I was always slightly wary about the hook paraphernalia getting bigger and bigger. I was sort of ok with that as I thought it would at least put off some bream but I keep catching them anyway.

I was using big size 4 hooks last season and now want to go down a few sizes and the hook clips don’t really work for 6 and 8s.

I’ve just got found this little thing which might be just what I’ve been looking for. Korum specimen quick snap swivels they’re called. Allows me to make up Combi rigs but instead of an Albright knott or a small swivel you have these clips.

The advantage of them being clips is that they allow me to remove the short hook link and thread on a new PVA bag. Or I can prep short braid hook links with pva bags on and just clip a new one on - no need to re-putty the main hook link as that stays on permanently.

It’s a lot cheaper than replacing the whole hook link each time and provides a good anchor point for some putty to stay in place - sometimes putty can slip down braid and end up on the hook so that’s useful too.

They’re 69lb breaking strain in the large size and I’ve tested a couple, the short braid bit goes before anything else which is as it should be. They re smaller than ESP size 11 swivels for reference.

Couple of pics to show what I’m on about with quite a big size 6 hook on, thought it might be useful to someone.
These look similar to the Matrix offerings. I wonder if they break at the same rating? I believe those are offered in size 14-20 >> Matrix equivalent

I saw the chap Nic from Avon Angling YouTube recommend them for rig making so I’ve been giving them a go.

Photo hopefully attached.

As per Jason, ensure no knot tag sticking out.

And I make the braid loop quite big so I can lark's-foot it to the clip for a little extra security in case the tungsten were ever to fail/slip up off of the clip

I use these but if you get them if eBay from china they are so much cheaper and no carp tax

Back