• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Collingham official statement

Anthony Pearson

Press Release
Collingham Angling Association
Changes to Rules
21 March 2022
Following the Annual General Meeting on Sunday 20 March 2022 the membership of the Association voted unanimously to change the rules regarding fishing along the Collingham Angling Associations stretch of the rivers Trent and Fleet.
This decision was not taken lightly by the membership and follows a year in which we have seen an increase in complaints, made against the club by local farmers (many of which we rent land off), local walkers, fellow club members and the general public.
Complaints have ranged from:
1. An increase in the amount of human faeces left along the bank, on
walkways, in our neighbour’s field and surrounding areas.

2. An increase in general litter left by anglers from beer cans, discarded
fishing equipment to barbeques left along the bank, black bags of rubbish left in the surrounding local dykes and hedgerows or in the local villages.

3. Dogs off the lead or un- tethered, pestering other anglers or users of the
public rights of ways and other walk ways.

4. Children being left to play unsupervised along the bank sometimes on
bikes with parents / guardians seemingly unaware of the dangers of the river (particularly as our stretch is tidal).

This situation simply could not be left to continue and has already led to one club being banned for life from all Collingham waters.
With effect from the 16th June 2022, the membership has voted unanimously to ban night fishing or overnight stays for non-members. Fishing will now only be allowed between sun rise and sun set. We understand that we have a lot of guests that respect our waters and rules and have been coming to our part of the Trent for a number of years to enjoy the sport. We fully appreciate that it’s the stupidity of a few that has spoilt it for the majority, however, we must act before it gets any further out of hand , or we risk losing some of our rights of access or even worse a child gets into trouble in the river.
We truly hope that those anglers that use and enjoy fishing along our stretch of the Trent and Fleet will continue to come and we will of course welcome you as we have always done. Our web-page will be update to include a list of all local B&B’s and local camp site as well as displaying the official sunset / sunrise times

I'd be happy for admin to do that. I posted it as there were a number of queries on the other thread regarding whether there was an official comment from the club.

Not sure why we'd turn off commenting on this thread, unless things get out of hand, which I'm sure they won't as we're such a civilised and well mannered bunch :)

Exactly!!
With decisions like that there is always going to be a case of where you please some and disappoint others but what can you do when the decision is made?? Nothing just make the best of it!
I fish a no night fishing water regularly and as we all know we’d catch more if we could extend that through into darkness but it’s really not the knife through the heart case scenario that a lot of barbel anglers seem to believe.
Learn to catch them in the day!!!!! I know lots of people (guilty myself of doing this aswell) that believe chucking a hefty bait mid river as the sun goes down is the hard and fast way to catch a barbel and yes it is compared to chucking the same bait in the same place when the sun is bearing down on the river.
Change your tactics, refine your methods, go and actually find the fish and present something more appropriate in a more appropriate place and perhaps these people will see you don’t need the cover of darkness to be successful.

The problem with places like Collingham is the trend to sit behind a pair of rods for days which works very well when you’ve got fish actively feeding infront of you and in most cases this is when they move down at night. (Weir excluded)

If these campers actually decided to turn up with a float rod and 6 pints of maggots to create opportunities rather than wait for them, I think there would be alot less fuss about the new rules

Instant gratification - like lots of things in this world today.

I would say Angling as a whole has suffered quite badly in this respect. Commercial fisheries, where everything is on a plate for the angler, In more ways that one. Gone are the days we'd walk fields and fields to get a decent peg. Those pegs are now overgrown. Now, unless you can park behind your peg, the food van is open, showers, a toilet and bait is available on site, we don't want to know. My friend is a case in point, unless he can get his car behind him when he's Carping, he won't fish that venue. He won't barrow his kit there, but he'll pay £1K to fish Gigantica for a week, just because it holds very big Fish. Show him a Stick float or a Waggler and he wouldn't have a clue. Not bothered.

Sad really.

Edit; Having said that, he does take one of those Ridgemonkey toilets with him, so not all bad.

Last edited:
Haven't been not been doing this barbel fishing long but most probably would have

Hats of to the angling club they seen a problem and they have delt with it in my opinion the best way possible and if it continues they can then narrow the problem down to club members as well wether it was done to late it doesn't matter they have acted in the interest of the club and the fishing bravo

Am I right in thinking that all the dogs, kids, litter issues comes from the anglers who night fish? Presumably they are staying several days.

The club is limited to 300 members. Surely with the revenue they will loose will be a good chunk of money. Yes I have read their decisions amd dont blame them. but perhaps they could looked a online booking system where people have to leave personal details reg details etc. And possibly get a few bailiffs to enforce the rules. Putting the price up for a 24hr ticket could of helped with costs.

From my understanding there is a large portion of the 300 members who don't and never have fished the river.

I've only fished it the once for a social which was great. No beer and all rubbish was taken. Pooh was double bagged cable tied and taken home. Its not too difficult surely.

I'll be going back in August still for our social just a bit pricier as I'll have to b and b it now.

Trouble was Joe, Pooh was catching all the evidence so had to go

Attachments

• Pooh just another turd.jpg
    Pooh just another turd.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 139
Back