• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Collectable Barbel tackle

While Sorting through the garage, i have come across quite a few bits & pieces of double T tackle. From my own point of view its still really good quality stuff, but is it collectable?
I own quite a bit of old E.T pike fishing tackle, this doesn't seem to be of any real value (although priceless to me). The Carp boys pay crazy money for old tackle but that doesn't seem to filter down to other areas of the sport. Rods & reels aside that is.
cheers
Bri

It might be in a few years time! I think I am a bit of a hoarder by nature and love old stuff both personal and impersonal! I have some very old books that have only been mine for a short time and to just open them is to feel their history, tackle is the same I think. A mate of mine has some very old tackle and sifting through it is just like time travelling might be!

I posted the link for that documentary 30secs in - an hour and a half later I can only say an utterly brilliant watch!

Glad i am not the only one who hoards tackle, i have always regretted selling tackle once its gone.... saying that, an imminent loft conversion is going to open a right can of worms.....

I’m in the same boat and I have no idea where I’m going to store it all. I don’t think my teenage son will want the cupboards in his new room full of my old gear

I think Iv only ever sold 2 reels. Iv got all my dads gear as well as mine and also any time my friends are throwing gear out I’ll have it off them no matter how rubbish it is

Found I had a lone angler bait pouch that's lined, and has a shoulder strap yesterday. Never used.
It'll be great for carrying bits for a day's stalking.
Still have a Trefor West landing net handle, lead bag, rig wallet. Will never part with them, as they're great bits of kit.

My other prized gem was a cardinal 54 reel. Never used and boxed.
My uncle gave it to me a few yrs back, and it looks like it's been stolen from where I kept it. Some Mitchell reels have also disappeared, although not bothered about those, as they were ebay purchases, but the thought that my 54 has gone has really angered me!
Will keep looking! 🤞🤞

Are there really anglers who don’t hoard then? I’ve never met one if there are! The amount of kit I have squirrelled away would stock a reasonable shop. I still have my first reel, sadly minus the handle for some reason, most of my first rod, floats I made about 50 years ago, a few packets of hooks of a similar vintage... Most of it will never see the bank again, or not because of me anyway, and very little could be described as collectable, but can I part with it? Of course not. It all seems too imbued with the spirits of time and place, of friends long departed, of fish caught and fish lost, of misty dawns and long evenings, of countless hours of impatient waiting, of seemingly endless blanks sometimes finally rewarded, of past obsessions, to ever part with. Goodness knows what will happen to it when I’m gone but, until then, it remains to clutter my flat and loft, a constant reminder of the incurable lure of water and fish.

Are there really anglers who don’t hoard then? I’ve never met one if there are! The amount of kit I have squirrelled away would stock a reasonable shop. I still have my first reel, sadly minus the handle for some reason, most of my first rod, floats I made about 50 years ago, a few packets of hooks of a similar vintage... Most of it will never see the bank again, or not because of me anyway, and very little could be described as collectable, but can I part with it? Of course not. It all seems too imbued with the spirits of time and place, of friends long departed, of fish caught and fish lost, of misty dawns and long evenings, of countless hours of impatient waiting, of seemingly endless blanks sometimes finally rewarded, of past obsessions, to ever part with. Goodness knows what will happen to it when I’m gone but, until then, it remains to clutter my flat and loft, a constant reminder of the incurable lure of water and fish.
I think we're quietly sentimental about fishing gear.
And rightly so, as a lot of rubbish quality we see on the market today is just that. Miss the old tackle shops.

How very true, memories, you cant put a price on that.

Back