• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cock a doodle doo

Mark Swaby

Many of you might know that i love to travel and fish.About 15 years ago,whilst on a fishing holiday, a friend spoke about his popper fishing in Panama.One of his favorite fish was the Rooster fish,when i came back home to England i googled the species.I thought it one of the most beautiful fish i had ever seen,and so it want on my 'wanted' fish list.A month ago my wife said 'I have booked a holiday and we are going to Costa Rica'.Straight onto google, i did go, to find out if the hotel was Pacific or Atlantic,Yes, result, it was the Pacific side(the rooster fish side).After getting to the Hotel i managed to find a local skipper, Albany Vallejos to fish with,after quizzing him i found he liked to target roosters and really knew what he was doing.The first day out after a number of missed takes a big fish was hooked and when it finally came to the boat it was a massive Rooster around 90lb.I fished with him for 3 mornings and had a number of rooster fish with 3 others over 100lb,Beyond my wildest dreams(i was hoping for a fish around 50lb).Here is a couple of the bigger fish,i hope you appreciate their beauty,they were all returned quickly.We caught some other species but lost some serious Shark,one of which took a 10lb live tuna
IMG_0890_zpsfbbdm6ru.jpg
IMG_0812_zpsbf7flzir.jpg

Hi Mark, how are you chap? I see you are still indulging your wanderlust tendencies and catching astonishing fish while you are at it :D It's no wonder you added those to your list, they really are special aren't they? Mind you, I was quite worried by the first photo, because it looks like you have the world's most vicious dorsal spines wrapped round your neck....but I guess they are soft ray extensions? Anyway, good on ya mate, keep on keepin on.

P.S,
Saw a bit on TV about a wildlife sanctuary in Costa Rica called 'Kids saving the rain forest', it looked wonderful. Did you get to see that?

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave,we did the usual Rain forest /active volcano/monkeys/sloth, visit but not to the area you wrote about.The bottom of the rays are very firm but the ends are soft so very hold friendly.On our arrival the beach was full of Rooster fish scattering everything out of the water.Seeing the rays carving up the surface was incredible,the change of direction and acceleration rapid.Sadly the fish moved on never to be seen again.Though i fished the beach early and late and chilled out on the beach during the day with a heavy lure rod next to the sunbed,i only caught other species.Sitting at home now after operation on hand, unable to drive or fish.

No Dave,long term Cartlidge damage,they were going to fuse the thumb joint but it was beyond fixing so removed the nerves.Oh happy days,still no pain yet,and will still be able to fish.

Jeez Mark, that is a serious problem, and I admire your fortitude. The only advantage in the situation that I can see is that, if anyone now says to you "You've got a nerve mate"....you can argue the case :D. I really hope that the op. has fixed the problem satisfactorily long term for you mate. All the best, Dave.

Back