• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ā€˜Registerā€™ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Clothing for the larger man

I've been looking for some new waterproofs and think I have a contender in the fox winter suit .
Does anyone have any feedback on these or any other options must be real man size xxxl not Chinese size šŸ¤”

Clothes sizing is a complete and utter nightmare at the moment. I have a Fox T-shirt and a Fox hoodie, both XXXL. The T-shirt is a decent fit, but the hoodie is too big by comparison. Other branded T-shirts all with the same size on the label and they're all different fits.

My suit is a Trakker F something or an other. XXXL it's a good fit. Old model now but I'm sure they do something similar. The bib and brace is a little snug, but I do wear a few layers underneath it. I've also got an ESP bomber jacket coat in XXXL and that is massive on me. One thing that annoys me regarding big sizes, is the fact the manufacture things everyone who is big has a belly, and there's loads of material around the stomach area. Wouldn't be so bad if they had a drawstring in them to cinch it in a bit.

As an alterative, have a look at Halkon-Hunt. They'll do made to measure stuff. It's not cheap, and may not be suitable, but it'll fit you properly.

I'm 6'3" and 19.5 stone.

Last edited:
Vass 175 stuff goes to xxxl and itā€™s bloody roomy gear. Iā€™m a big lad and I use the xxl and thatā€™s nice and roomy. The xxxl would fit someone of 20 stone comfortably Iā€™d imagine.

Vass 175 stuff goes to xxxl and itā€™s bloody roomy gear. Iā€™m a big lad and I use the xxl and thatā€™s nice and roomy. The xxxl would fit someone of 20 stone comfortably Iā€™d imagine.
Is the vass stuff like sea fishing stuff rubberised material with no lining as I have similar for beach fishing and there not the warmest

Preston DF30, rated at 20000mm static head (generally fishing waterproofs are between 3000 and 10000) is really dry, I used to wear one for winter pike fishing on my boat and never got wet. They are a shell type suit so you can layer up underneath to keep warm.
They are also generous fitting (I'm 5'11" and had a 42" waist with room to spare) and hard wearing the only downside being they are mainly black with a bit of blue.
Its replacement is the Dryfish DFX which sells at Ā£250, there's still some of the DF30's available at half that https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/preston-df30-suit

Last edited:
Thought it was just me - just a nightmare
I've found I've had to mix and match and the best VFM seems to be shooting clothing
Ridgeline smocks or jackets are excellent and 3XL sizing seems
Percussion trousers - some good stuff available - these are excellent VFM

Sorry to everyone who's heard me bang on about this before, but if:
* you can live with camouflage
* like me you sweat a lot
* you have to walk a distance to swims
* you fish in all weathers
* you are prepared to follow the best advice regarding 'layering up' ā€¦.

then, NEW (unused) ex-army Gore-Tex waterproofs are the way forward.
If you can get a size to fit (as they are in demand from those in the know) it's a win win situation on price and quality. Remember...they must be new if you want to guarantee repellency and therefore breathability.

These are an example of the overtrousers I've used for years which have the advantage of braces, so no slipping down. These particular ones come with detachable thermal bottoms.

If you can't get a matching Flecktarn jacket, so what. Choose from any others that fit. If you're sliding down steep banks in winter or just sitting in summer rain, they work.

However, if you park behind your swim, buy one of the suits being recommended.

Sorry to everyone who's heard me bang on about this before, but if:
* you can live with camouflage
* like me you sweat a lot
* you have to walk a distance to swims
* you fish in all weathers
* you are prepared to follow the best advice regarding 'layering up' ā€¦.

then, NEW (unused) ex-army Gore-Tex waterproofs are the way forward.
If you can get a size to fit (as they are in demand from those in the know) it's a win win situation on price and quality. Remember...they must be new if you want to guarantee repellency and therefore breathability.

These are an example of the overtrousers I've used for years which have the advantage of braces, so no slipping down. These particular ones come with detachable thermal bottoms.

If you can't get a matching Flecktarn jacket, so what. Choose from any others that fit. If you're sliding down steep banks in winter or just sitting in summer rain, they work.

However, if you park behind your swim, buy one of the suits being recommended.
I agree nd have looked and looked but have found it hard to find fat boy size šŸ˜ž

I have the ESP coat 20000 in 3XL and im over 20 stonešŸ˜„.Its a great fit.Looking at buying the sallopettes to match.So far very pleased with the coat:cool:.Steve

Normally XXXL jacket fits me, the lager sizes though are often out of stock. Finding a 2-piece suit is difficult as my trouser size is XXL.

Buying chest waders mail order is a waste of time. They put info on the boot size but I have small feet and so often the "chest" bit is too snug a fit for comfort. Invariably I split a seam somewhere!

Wish the suppliers would give full info on their garment sizing. :rolleyes:

Back