• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Close season Tench fishing.

Simon Archer

Senior Member & Supporter
Due to one thing or another, my river season is probably over for this year. So, in the close season I'm looking to try my hand at some Tench fishing. I've earmarked Linear as a possible venue. It's nearly two hours away, which isn't a problem but would like to find a day ticket Tench water closer to home (Leicestershire) if possible, and one that allows night fishing.

Any ideas ??

Due to one thing or another, my river season is probably over for this year. So, in the close season I'm looking to try my hand at some Tench fishing. I've earmarked Linear as a possible venue. It's nearly two hours away, which isn't a problem but would like to find a day ticket Tench water closer to home (Leicestershire) if possible, and one that allows night fishing.

Any ideas ??
I don’t know about the night fishing Simon but what about Sywell Reservoir in Northamptonshire?

edit. Just had a look and they do a 24hour ticket or a season ticket which restricts you to 36 hours at a time.

Last edited:
I don’t know about the night fishing Simon but what about Sywell Reservoir in Northamptonshire?

edit. Just had a look and they do a 24hour ticket or a season ticket which restricts you to 36 hours at a time.

Still some good tench to be had I believe, but it’s not the easiest of venues, but if your prepared to put the work in then it’s worth a go. The weed growth is prolific and presents a big challenge.

Googled Sywell a while back. I remember it from years ago for it's Tench fishing when the likes of Bob Church was catching big Tench on there. Not that much info available on it other than it fell off the radar a little, but has been restocked with small smaller Tench in 2017 by the Tenchfishers.

Modern Carp fisheries seem to be the best bet as they're geared up for overnight fishing, and the other species seem to be ignored somewhat. I have a friend who Carp fishers, he's never even weighed the Tench and Bream he's caught, can't be botherd, he un hooks them in the water and lets them swim off. I'd imagine he's had some very nice Tench and Bream, but he's not interested in them, sad really.

Bluebell lakes is another venue within striking distance, but not too sure how many Tench it holds. Swithland reservoir is close by, but more famous for it big Bream.

It is nowhere near as prolific as back in its heyday in the 90's but it is still producing some very big tench. Blank's are the norm, but then you'll practically have the place to yourself - no unseemly scramble to the oaks swim at dawn! It's been stocked a few times, I gather there was also big restocking by the EA about 10 years ago.

If I lived close by I would almost certainly fish it, but as I say it is far from easy.

After doing a little research on our club waters, it seems a couple of lakes hold Tench in small numbers. Can't night fish the lakes, but I may be able to get a session or two in Covid permitting.

It's the same old perennial problem, lots of still waters to fish but, most are just stuffed to the gills with f ing carp. Really hacks me off as most clubs really have forgotten about angler like me. You know, lakes with a good natural blend of tench, roach, pike, crucians, rudd, bream, perch and pike. They just can't not resist stuffing every lake they run with F1's. :rolleyes: :mad:

It's the same old perennial problem, lots of still waters to fish but, most are just stuffed to the gills with f ing carp. Really hacks me off as most clubs really have forgotten about angler like me. You know, lakes with a good natural blend of tench, roach, pike, crucians, rudd, bream, perch and pike. They just can't not resist stuffing every lake they run with F1's. :rolleyes: :mad:
Completely agree Chris. My local club has a largish water further down in Kent and have had a new “pond” dug, I, and others, have suggested keeping it as a Tench, Crucian and Rudd water but already others want F1’s. ☹️

The irony is that the best carp waters nearly always contain a range of other specimen fish, but most clubs want runs waters so they overstock them and then then end up with a water full of mediocre carp and not much else.

Completely agree Chris. My local club has a largish water further down in Kent and have had a new “pond” dug, I, and others, have suggested keeping it as a Tench, Crucian and Rudd water but already others want F1’s. ☹️
I was a member of a club that unfortunately lost their best tench water. The club didn't fill it with carp, as the lease was renewed every couple the years. So it would've been a risk. A few years back they gained access to another water on their larger complex. They couldn't resist a massive stocking of F1's. It had remained unfishished for years and had a naturally ballance of stock.
I moaned and asked why they couldn't leave as it was. I was told by the club that there were other lakes on the complex with the type of fishing I was after. These are very small waters and fair enough, they have the aforementioned stock. BUT I don't want to fish tiddly venues where your style of fishing is compromised.
I feel anglers like us are just aftthoughts now.

Another club I'm a member off do stock their lakes accordingly. One pond with big Carp in, a silvers pond, an F1 pond, a pond that they've put Tench and Crucians in, and all netted regularly to remove stunted fish. 10 lakes all a bit different. Only trouble is the Tench and Crucians they've stocked are small. Good for the future though.

Another club I'm a member off do stock their lakes accordingly. One pond with big Carp in, a silvers pond, an F1 pond, a pond that they've put Tench and Crucians in, and all netted regularly to remove stunted fish. 10 lakes all a bit different. Only trouble is the Tench and Crucians they've stocked are small. Good for the future though.
And I bet the tench and crucian water is a little pond, not a lake.

Stanwick fisheries has some good tench apparently.

Or there is grendon lakes. All in northants though.

Herefordshire seems to be a rubbish area for tench.

Looking at going further afield for some decent sized tench fishing. 9.12 best for 15 years!

Anyone got any syndicate waters for an exchange visit 2 or 3 days? Reciprocated for Wye trip.

April May subject too?

Back