• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cleaning Boots

Bob Woods

What is best way of cleaning my Zinberlin leather boots as they need constant attention after a day on the bank.

Funny that you should just post this one, I have just cleaned off my ex army boots.... I take out the laces and leave them to dry out..then clean out the sole cleats of mud and dead slugs etc with a screwdriver, then give the soles and sides a really good brush with a dry scrubbing brush, that removes all the bankside gunge..... I then take out the insoles, and put screwed up newspaper inside to absorb any moisture, then after leaving them 12 - 24 hrs I give a further brush with the dry scrubbing brush, then I go old school and give them a good going over with dubbin, especially in the bellows tongue,and seams, not brushing it in, but rubbing it in with a cloth.....the boots are waterproof, as a result, I can stand in a good 4 - 6 inches of water for a few hours if need be and still have dry feet.
It seems like a lot of work, but I have two pairs of identical boots , treat them both the same, and they have lasted for over 12 years, not needed re treading yet.

I do wear wellies when it is very wet, or waders sometimes....in fact I am over endowed with boots... 1 pair wellies, i pair knee boots a- la John Wilson, 1 pair thigh waders, 1 pair chesties, 2 pairs army boots, i pair gortex walking boots, cant remember the make,and 1 pair Berghous 4 season suede walking boots.....

Only one pair of feet though.......:D

Dave.

I cleaned them today, then using fingers rubbed in some Nickwax. Not only are boots w/proof but hands are as well...:D.

Not sure what boots you have but if they are goretex lined and leather outers and you use Nikwax all you do is keep the moisture in, and the boots canot breathe naturally. I deally you shouldnt put anything on IMO, then the boots can work the natural way. Think about it sweaty feet in the summer cold feet in the winter.
The only time I used Nikwax was when I was stood all day in seawater to my ankles, it works to some extent but th e leather eventually got wet, and was a nightmare to dry.

Simples

Back