• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Classified thread.

Steve Prince

if people are selling something in the classified thread it would be nice to be told that the item or items they have for sale on this site , are also on sale elsewhere ie eBay etc. A couple of times now and not just this site I've wasted my time texting and phone calls to arrange then to be told "I've sold it on eBay mate" . Then you get the tyre kickers " hi mate will you take £10 for the reel" I'm selling at £50 " I've had me gear robbed and havnt got much money" or " where are you based mate " then you don't hear anything :rolleyes: and the best one "here's me number mate I'll meet you tomorrow " to which the the number goes straight to voicemail:p . I'll stick to eBay me thinks ;)

Have you tried selling on eBay recently Steve? It doesn't get much better. I put something on an auction listing and 'collect only' recently. Had loads of 'buy it now' offers and "how much for delivery?" The one that took the biscuit though was "how big is it in feet because I don't understand inches". It was a fish tank.
I found myself hoping that certain people weren't going to bid because I felt sure I wouldn't get paid and they wouldn't collect.

As we say in Yorkshire "Nowt so queer as folk"

Sold the tank to a lovely couple from just down the road - happy ending!

Ive only ever bought goods from e-bay, ( lots of it ), never ever sold anything. But i've just received a spare spool for my 3500b that i paid £30 for, but the spool is for a 3500, ( there is a difference ). So thinking about trying to sell it back on the bay. Where do i begin ? Thanks for any help. :)

Sold and bought loads of gear on here and only had one or 2 problems, but far less than any other sites. You do get the odd chancer and the odd after sale funny but thats life. More than anything Through sales I have made quite a few friends.

Hi Derek, just click on the 'sell' tab and it leads you by the hand.

Agree with Jon, never had a problem through BFW.

I've never had any problems selling or buying stuff on BFW. Everyone I've bought from or sold to have been very straight down the line and to the point.

Ebay on the other hand can be interesting at times, recently after advertising a pair of rods which are quite hard to get hold of these days, I received a long rambling and abusive message sent from some random bloke in the early hours of the morning (White Lightening time perhaps?). Apparently my asking price was too high and the words "robbing xxxx" featured prominently. Such was was the level of vitriol and invective, you would have thought I'd sent the boys round and forced him to buy them!
This was then followed by a message the following morning asking if I would accept an offer well below the asking?! Yeah right mate!

On the whole though Ebay is fine - the vast majority of folks are decent and honest, just keep your eyes open.

For me this is a better place to sell and buy, never had a problem, well one perhaps with a reel that went straight in the bin. Some sites don't allow new members to sell or buy until a certain number of posts, I have noticed a few classified only members on here that don't contribute to anything else..
The attraction on sites such as this over eBay is there is no seller's fee, so you can buy cheaper.
My main rule of thumb is don't trust a seller who states no time wasters. Red flag to a Bull that one:)

I think people should remember that the opportinity to sell on BFW is a favour from the site owners that should not be abused . It costs people nothing to buy and sell on here unlike the dreaded E bay which I buy and sell on extensively . Yes you get the worldwide market , and at it's best it works very well but you also get access to a world of chancers and numpties :(

PayPal refund

Ive only ever bought goods from e-bay, ( lots of it ), never ever sold anything. But i've just received a spare spool for my 3500b that i paid £30 for, but the spool is for a 3500, ( there is a difference ). So thinking about trying to sell it back on the bay. Where do i begin ? Thanks for any help. :)

Derek

If you buy something and when it arrives it's different to the description then the seller must refund you, really the seller has to be specific in his description so as to avoid any confusion. Contact him and point out where he misled you, it was probably a genuine error and anytime it's happened to me the seller has been keen to make good the mistake. If they won't and and you were genuinely misled then you can open a complaint with ebay, but I'd start by contacting the seller, most people are keen to maintain a good seller rating

If you sell it yourself you have all the hassle of dealing with the buying public, and you'll lose the postage you paid when you first bought it, any difference in price, the ebay fees and PayPal receiver fees. You'll be down on cash and gave the hassle of selling it.

Pm me if you need more advice, I've been through this a few times from both sides.

I've bought a few items through this site and always been smooth and pleasant transactions. I've bought stuff off ebay as well and apart from one reel that the baitrunner was not working on, buyer refunded without issue, all my transactions have gone without a hitch. Guess I must be lucky, apart from blanking a lot.

I use Gumtree a bit and have never had a problem apart from saying "collection only" then being asked how much to post it mate and of cause "Will you take?"
I think it is a more local area site rather than national but not sure.

i have never had any problem with anything i have bought on bfw classified, most bfw members know someone who knows someone ect so we all know most here, yes you may find on a very odd occasion that you find a wrongun but its certainly a lot less than most secondhand sales places, i am one of many who are tackle hoarders and always on the lookout for a bargain, very seldom sell anything until the wife starts carrying on at me about filling up the spare rooms lol, bfw has to be one of the best places to find real honest bargains in the classified pages so dont get disheartened if you see something only to find its already sold, it may be you late in replying and missing the prize

Everyone i have bought from on bfw classifieds have been regular posters on here, and i can honestly say all have been Gents and very honest. Even one mix up where a reel was sent to the wrong person was soon put right when he offered the other matching one to me, which i received :)

Dave

Never had a problem on here with buying / selling.

And ok on ebay. Sometimes amazing like arrived today a fly rod rrp 130 at 50 and the guy added foc wychwood sla reel with line and two spare spools and the case!

Also today as the chap didn't have 9lb stroft line but only 8.5lb he added a spool of 50mtr 3.5lb foc.

I do agree with what I think Neil alluded to. To just use the site to sell free of charge and add nothing else is a bit cheeky. Just my opinion.

It always amuses me when you see the same guys selling stuff on here on a regular basis. Some (though not all) are obviously traders, and they have the same item up for sale on a number of other sites at the same time. I discovered this when I saw an item come up for sale one morning, something that I had been looking out for for some time. I immediately sent a pm to say I would have it, with a post on the add to make sure, and asked for details so that I could pay for it. No other posts appeared all that day, so I assumed I would get the item for sure. However, the next day I got a PM informing me that he had sold it on another site. Nice. Not!

Cheers, Dave.

It always amuses me when you see the same guys selling stuff on here on a regular basis. Some (though not all) are obviously traders, and they have the same item up for sale on a number of other sites at the same time. I discovered this when I saw an item come up for sale one morning, something that I had been looking out for for some time. I immediately sent a pm to say I would have it, with a post on the add to make sure, and asked for details so that I could pay for it. No other posts appeared all that day, so I assumed I would get the item for sure. However, the next day I got a PM informing me that he had sold it on another site. Nice. Not!

Cheers, Dave.

No the feeling Dave :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.
Yes I understand that Dave, and I will say that one member in particular I have bought a lot from does sell on other sites, but to be fair to him he does discount on BFW quite heavily, which he is able to do because of no selling fees on here. Not sure others do similar.

I'm probably one of the guys in the cross hairs of a few of the comments here. I do sell across different sites just as much as you buy your petrol at different garages whatever gives you the better deal. I suppose due to my traffic of buying and selling one might consider the word trader but to me it's a hobby. Pays for my gear and my fishing I can on occasion spend up to 20 hours a week trawling eBay and other seller sites and I must admit it's harder and harder to find a decent deal. I try to offer good prices on BFW and also sell across Facebook and Ebay where the audience's are bigger.
If anyone feels let down by any selling experience with me I'd gladly stick to just fishing posts as I've always enjoyed Bfw and have made some very good friends here. You an always petition the mods to get any changes in place you might feel necessary you only need ask.

I can honestly say, i've bought several items from Clive, and never had a problem. The items, have always been described very accurately, including photos, and very well priced. Keep it going Clive, we all love a bargain. :) Sometimes, i've dived straight in, ( shimano 3500b ), but i know, if i hang on a day or two, Clive will often reduce the price further, but if i do, i risk missing out to someone else. :D So, if its something your really after, for the sake of a couple of quid, get it while you can. :):):)

Still after a spare spool(s) if you come across any Clive. ;):)

Back