• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheeky Robins

Jason Bean

One thing I love about winter fishing is the robins that keep you company throughout the day. Yesterday at work I saw a robin deliberately trying to find his way down a corridor into our staff canteen....I'm in work today and went to the canteen to get a coffee and they he is mission accomplished sitting on the radiator refusing to leave!...cant blame him, he keeps going up to the toaster picking the crumbs up from around it

I'm out in the snow tommorow and i'll be very surprised if I dont see one and i'll have a few maggots ready if I do

I don't know much about birds but on a hard days fishing when everyhtings against you seeing a kingfisher or robin can make a bad day come good

Cheers
Jason

Totall agree, seeing a Robin or Kingfisher on a hard day can make up for the lack of fish. Always feel bad if I don't have any bait with me to feed them.

Last trip out saw the fattest Robin in history, looked the size of a tennis ball!

Sight of the season has to be a Kingfisher being chased by a Sparowhawk on a local club lake, glad to say the Kingfisher got away!

I was feeding a robin over the xmas period all day long.....and by the time i'd packed up later on in the afternoon it had shat all over my rod quiver!!!
To some that would be lucky!!
But they do warm a cold day up for you when not too much is happening.

When i used to do a bit on the river Colne, i had a Jenny Wren visit me every session during the winter on one stretch, i'm sure it was the same bird everytime, i got to love that bird :) though i never got it feeding out of my hand, it was pretty close, it would stand between my feet taking maggots that i would drop by hand inches from it, never would take one from my fingers though. God knows where it used to put all those maggots ! it would eat quite a few over a day, must have ended up the fattest little wren on the Colne.

I always find it amazing/amusing how quickly robins come down to you when you arrive at the bank. Last time out I had 3 - all fighting with each other to get at some bait - I ended up scattering maggots in different locations so they could all get a look in unmolested! Not fishing this weekend so my bait fridge is slowly being emptied onto the bird table!

C.

Last edited:
Had this cheeky chap nipping around me all afternoon today, a welcome distraction from the freezing cold!

1-3.jpg

Cheers
Adam

They really are the most curious of our feathered friends.
A few shots from today;

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2446.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

Ian

Cracking photo's,such brave birds robins,always first to have a look when there's any sort of disturbance,even at work with chainsaws revving away they'll always be first in looking for a feed,they don't seem to have any fear of us.....:)

lovely pics....I think that's what I go fishing for.

There's this hidden world where anglers have a contact with wildlife that no others do....little creatures have learnt to know we have food for them and you can almost see a glint in their eyes when they first see us

Magic...pure magic and I know fishing will be tuff tomorow but I hope a little robin will turn up and make my day.

Thanks
Jason

I had one the other week feeding around me on scraps I passed to him.
Come soup time and my slice of bread for dunking, it was hovering in front of me and took a piece almost from my mouth. I ended up feeding him in my hand.
Blanked, but a great experience.

:) i remember a bfw thames fish in on the desborough cut, the night was a real endurance about 8 degrees below, i said to Dick who was a few yards away hey Dick i got a robin here, been trying to coax it close but it sticks around 3ft away,
Dicks reply was.............. i got one here too, i ambled over and said where?
on me foot says Dick, yep it was:D talk about Dick in harmony with his surroundings.....j.w

It Doesn't matter if the fish are not in a feeding mood when you can be at one with nature and sit and watch such brilliant creatures, this is what its about, beautiful......

Cheeky? Hungry, poor little devils (plus Blue tits, Great tits, Coal tits, spadgies etc, on my edge-of-field home-site), more like. FEED the birds in your garden NOW (I am just old enough to remember how, as a child in the killer winter of 1963, our doorstep milkbottles were pecked through their foil caps every morning by desperate birds within minutes of the milkman delivering them).

I always remember one particular chaffinch on the St Pats that was so tame it would feed from your hand.

Robins are real adventurers.

I had one on the Loddon that would sit on my rod and bounce up and down until you fed it. I tested it once, stopped feeding and it did the same.

Meanwhile the Red Kites are popping down to the garden, no further than 5 yards away and swooping down for the ham pieces. Magnificent.

Graham

Last spring as I was dropping gear at my swim a Ribin sat on my bait bucket waiting to be fed. Once spent all day on frozen River Dane feeding a Robin pieces of meat. It wasn't till I started packing up to find it had left his mark on my rod bag...atleast it had a full belly.

Robins certainly associate man with food. Whilst walking in the snow a week or so ago robins would 'follow' us to the edge of their territories. Seeing this I scraped the snow away around old logs and leaf piles to expose some feeding ground and they were on it immediately.

I've been feeding the garden birds with black sunflower seeds, peanuts (some chopped in the Korda Krusher:)) saltanas, maggots etc. The number of visitors this year shows just how hungry they are. I even saw a tawny owl hunting during the middle of the day.

Feed the birds chaps, you know it makes sense.

I've now run out of all my cheese,sliced and liquidised bread from the bait freezer, and the old mince pies and christmas pudding and the left over sultana's.
They're not getting my rich fruit cake!:mad:
The feeders,apart from the peanuts, are emptied as soon as full, fat balls are holding out.

Can't get out at the moment, I wonder if they like deadbait??:eek:

Robin.jpg

Cheeky little so and so's.

I have just put out some old bits of fruit loaf on my bird table and the robin is always the first to get his fill, if he carries on at the rate he is going he will need the wing span of an albatross to take off soon:)

Back