• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin wobble - how to adjust spokes?

Aaron Littlefield

Hi,

would anybody please offer me some sane advice regarding how to adjust the spokes on a centrepin reel? I sort of hard mine working and spinning well after a maintenance/oiling - then I decided to touch the spokes thinking I could get rid of some minor wobble. Oh dear. All manner of problems ranging from a non spinning spool to big time wobble....oh pants.

Other than sending it to Garry Mills, whom incidentally fails to answer any of my emails, I'm stuck!

Any help, grateful received.

Regards

Aaron

It takes time!

If you have the time you could completely remove each spoke and clean everyting and lightly oil the threads (3-in-1 suffices), but make sure you are putting each spoke back into its original position. On the tension and release spokes take some care.

Loosen end float screw, then loosen all spokes so not under tension..
Tighten the spokes very slowly, one by one until very minor resistence is met.
You should have free running reel with some wobble at this point
Then tighten each spoke by small amounts, moving round the drum.
Set end-float screw to required end float and you should be nearly there
- on my Alcocks I have to remove the spool to do this so it takes time.

Gary probably busy and doesn't really respond to email (tho does send email Xmas cards!)

Still not quite there...(its a Match Aerial replica)

1) I've loosened the central pin screw
2) Removed the spool from the reel
3) Loosened all spokes by the same amount of turns (from tight to loose)
4) Tried going round the spool doing incremental tightening (say half a turn) on each spoke
5) Reconnected the spool
6) Then tighted the central pin screw

Still got wobble! Must be an art to this...think I might investigate how bicycle wheels get trued up!

Still got wobble! Must be an art to this...think I might investigate how bicycle wheels get trued up!

That was going to be my suggestion....but not being familiar with centerpins I thought I would just get frowned at. Bicycle/motorcycle wheels are trued by tightening/loosening the spokes opposite or where the wobble is. The major difference being you have far more spokes to play with on a bike wheel. There is lots of info on the net fro truing bike wheels so have a look and see if it helps.

Cheers

Adie

Aaron
from Paul Whiting's Article:
Putting aside damage by abuse, one possible drawback of the 'spoked reels', but this is more a question of aesthetics than an actual problem, is that often the drum could be seen to have a wobble. Assuming no damage, then this is largely due to the adjustments of the spokes, a task which is certainly not easy - if you have ever tried this you will know what I mean. A bit of time and this wobble can usually be eliminated if you have that sort of mind, and ability - and a lot of luck. But you can get it 'just so' and then a final tweak ruins it again.

Aaron,

If you are still struggling with this, rather than email Garry, give him a call. You wont find a more helpful fella and Im sure he will be able to help you out. Bear in mind this is a man who spends most of his time in the workshop and very little at a computer desk.

Failing that, speak to Paul Whiteing on here.

Cheers

Tommo

Cracked it!

Spoke to Garry (he says he's bad at checking email and his spam filter is a little too keen), he's gave me some advice and I managed to speak to somebody else who has done it - with a bit of tinkering I got there in the end. It now runs straight and true - quite satisfying, I'm tempted to bid on reels with wobble now, knowing I can adjust them :)

Quite a difference to see how much longer the reel spins without wobble - success!

Thanks everyone :)

Aaron

Back