• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin reviews? Speedia or allcock?

Jon Kennard

As much as it's like a bling pin I can justify the cost and fancy an older classic character pin. I'm watching a few and wondered if anyone has any views on the speedia pins or the allcock record breaker (seems to be much more affordable? Not sure why? ). It will primarily be for still water or occasion river trip as i have a heritage for main use. Hope it's not too random a thread thanks Jon

I don't know much about the Allcock, Jon, however I have a Speedia that I used for legering, up until a couple of years ago. It's a wide drum deluxe (with the three position ratchet). A great reel, however it's a small arbour so retrieval is slow - which is ok for close in fishing.

Thanks rich think I might hold out for one. although i still need to grind the reel legs down on my uncle's old pin so it will got my rods and give that a try. I could be blinding.

Attachments

• 1534790553129.jpg
    1534790553129.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 295
Speedia all the way Jon. Great reels. Try and get the wide de-luxe version which has variable ratchet tension. I've never used the Allcock Record Breaker but I have a couple of Aerials. Despite the Speedia being much cheaper than the Aerials - not too mention being less well considered by most of the traditional tackle tarts, my self included - it's always the first reel I reach for if I fancy using a pin.

Incidentally, there is a chap on another forum who has recently had some plastic arbors printed up which greatly improve on the Speedia. They are, essentially two plastic halfs which slot on the drum turning the line lay from one that wraps around ten pillars - and thus kinking the line - into a perfect cylindrical drum. I bought a set of these a few years back and it has improved on what is already a great little reel. The blue print for the arbors is in the public domain and it's not too expensive for someone to have a dozen or so copies printed up.

Thanks Richard and Haydn. I'm to get things in perspective a bit more. Rather than need that reel etc. Especially when on a small/ still water the pin isn't required to spin liked on a river, but just needs to be upto the task of playing fish and holding line. To often I go and buy expensive kit. Speaking of which the speedia deluxe are fairly expensive :(
I'm fighting off pin forums and eBay until I've tried it (or the perfect reel comes up at the right price). Thanks j

Last edited:
Jon , the Speedia's are very good , you could also look at one of the Mordex range ,[ Merlin , Major ] , they are robust reels , in my view ideal for your need and not too expensive , they regularly come up for sale on E bay

Thanks Mike I've got a few of them on my watch list on eBay. I don't know much about them but thought they looked pretty decent.

They were made in Sheffield Jon , the ratchets are strong on them . The thing to look out for is the centre boss where the little grub screw is that bears on to the top of the pin , theses are plastic and can crack so look carefully at the photographs . Also avoid any where the grub screw itself looks bashed about / chewed up . Other than this they are pretty bomb proof . They are fairly hard to find with the model label intact on the back of the reel but if you are not bothered about that I reckon you should find a good one for less than £50

Awesome thanks Mike. There's a few lookers on there currently. Theirs one with a shortened reel foot I've asked for some pictures on. condition looks very good but someone has cut the for presumably to for the reel seat

Yes people file / cut them down to fit modern screw up/down fuji style reel seats, if there is not too much removed they should be fine . If you can find one with a line guard fitted so much the better , they can be moved for both left and right hand wind .

Jon

If you want affordable workhorses that will last a lifetime, you can't really go wrong with a Speedia, however the wide drum versions tend to command quite a high price these days (in fact I've noticed that the narrow drum Speedias are creeping up as well).

Still affordable (as long as you're not too worried about mint condition) are the also ever reliable Young's Rapidex (my favourite of the classics) and Trudex. The Avon Royal Supreme is also a good classic, and you can usually get a very decent condition one for a bargain. Occasionally an older Purist model pops up on eBay for a sensible price as well.

I'll also echo Mike's Merlin recs, although be aware they're on the heavier side.

As for Allcocks - it's only the Match Aerial that tends to fetch high prices, most of their other reels (including the Recordbreaker) go for more sensible prices. I've only used a Match Aerial (which is an excellent reel), so I can't speak for the Recordbreaker.

You could also look at an Adcock Stanton. A bit "tinny" for my tastes, both in feel and looks, but a classic reel that goes for a sensible price.

Thanks guys for the advice. I picked up a speedia deluxe wide drum on eBay today for a very reasonable price so really happy. I used my uncle's old pin today and it worked well although I set the line coming off the top and just couldn't get used turning it that direction.

Love it, arrived today just what I was after thanks for the advice. Think I'll change the line ;)

Attachments

• 20180824_202637.jpg
    20180824_202637.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 333
  • 20180824_202716.jpg
    20180824_202716.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 278
  • 20180824_202648.jpg
    20180824_202648.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 274
Back