• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin Obsession

any guesses as to what the final price will be?

I shudder to think. It is a very beautiful reel.

Hard to predict, but seem to remember a similar one going for around £1200 a while back !?
Will certainly fetch upwards of £800 I've thought !
At the current £450ish I'd be tempted, rather have that than a Fox Bob James or other mass produced reel....

Now, that one is a good un. I have used an identical Aerial (without lineguard) for trotting for the past 35 years. My reel is the 7/8 inch-wide model though, perfect for the job.

Last edited:
Hi men ,

Paul , its hard for me to see on my laptop , are they wooded pieces on the reel , or some sort of bakerlite ?.

Hatter

Pin

Looks like wood ??

BiEvhBGkKGrHqQH-EEsLcRW3WBLOj7VlwK_.jpg

paul

The "brown" (on the lineguard) is age-patinated brass or bronze. One of the four reels that belonged to and were used by F.W.K. Wallis which I have owned (given for safe-keeping) since 1973 or '74, a fabulous, turn of the 20th. Century, metal backplate, vulcanite spooled 3.5-inch Aerial, has an identical, bronze and nickel silver, lineguard to the one pictured.

The reels backplate is made of an early plastic type of material called ebonite, and is dated around 1912. Aerials at this time were going through quite a few experimental changes and are quite rare. sometimes you get block script on the back which increases their value. The handles on this reel are made from cowhorn and are very nice, the line guard is factory fitted and you would have had to have asked for that as they were made to order.
A really good book for finding out about these type of reels is `The allcock aerial` by Bob Singleton

Tight lines

Alan

I see what you mean - the reel in question has a composite drum: its rear plate of ebonite, its front plate of metal. A "transitional" model, maybe, from the very early all-ebonite drums to the later all-metals...?

Save the reel campaign

It is one wonderful thing..pity it will end up in a glass case really, although I suppose it deserves it more than some other stuff you see in glass cases these days!
I really enjoyed the James May Toy programme on TV over Xmas (a repeat I think) where he brought a boxed collectors model train at an auction and the proceeded (to the horror of the collectors) chuck the box in the nearest bin and run the thing on his model railway line. Love to see somebody rich enough buy this and them use it to catch a big one next week!
So come on you BFW members with a few quid to spare...another 3 hours to go.
Maybe next time something like this comes up on e bay we could all chuck in a few quid...buy it collectively and then share it out on a day by day basis?

Yes Paul, they also made a few with a `bright` finish and these are very rare, lovely trotting reels with roach and dace in mind but I wouldnt reccomend using for barbel as the backplate would easily crack under excessive pressure.

Tight lines

Alan

The reel that I have trotted with since 1975 (mentioned earlier in the thread) is a 4" dia., 7/8"-wide, genuine 1915 Model Allcock Aerial, with parallel xylonite not tapered horn handles. I can see now how the 1912 ebonite-backplated-drum version as pictured and for sale on Ebay became the classic, all-metal drum, 1915 reel that has caught me more than just the odd fish.

The 1915 all metal reels are certainly more durable, I have had one for a few years now (not as long as Paul) and caught a Teme double on it combined with a cane MKv which was really lovely

Tight lines

Alan

Back