• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin identification?

Jon Kennard

Hi guys I inherited this centrepin some 23 years ago off my uncle who was from Sheffield. I know (think) very much it's not a brand reel I have other smaller pins. I'm not looking to sell she's a keeper and I'm looking to use here on an up and coming trip. Hopefully I'll get a barbel or two on the float or strett pegging my uncle's memory. Would be great if anyone can identify it please? Spool has some wobble but ratchet is very solid thanks Jon

Attachments

• 20180614_081515.jpg
    20180614_081515.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 375
  • 20180614_081538.jpg
    20180614_081538.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 389
  • 20180614_081545.jpg
    20180614_081545.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 403
  • 20180614_081602.jpg
    20180614_081602.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 386
  • 20180614_081617.jpg
    20180614_081617.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 369
I thinks that's a Harlow reel or more likely a copy of a Harlow reel . They are a bearing reel rather than a true centre pin , take it to bits and have a look . Nice reels , often they were fitted with handles afterwards and usually were operated by' batting ' the reel to retrieve after trotting down hence the knurled edge .

Jon , if you are so inclined could you dismantle the reel to see if it is indeed a bearing reel , I'm just curious that's all , no big deal

I have a Harlow myself, I'd agree with Mike about that one being a copy as the one I have has the word 'HARLOW' across the front of the drum. The big drum gives a good rate of retrieve when trotting.

I figured I'm only going to be using it for big floats and big baits in reasonable/ fast flows so the spin quality I not as important. Only two weeks until I give it a test run.

Its a late Harlow which were common in Yorkshire in the 70ts match scene.I think they were made in Harrogate by a small engineering firm and I bought mine in 1978 for £18 .It or its brother will be out this weekend fishing either a 5no4 stick or an Avon depending on the swim and out of all my 30 plus centre pins they are my favouite well in front of my match Ariel which I really struggle with.As Mike says it'it's not a true pin but a bearing reel.Two models where produced one with and one without handles .They stopped production early 80ts when the Leeds reel tried to match them,but IMO they are not in the same league.

Thanks Ken loving the history behind them. I. also won't have to take it apart now :)
I had a Leeds as my first ever pin had my pb chub on that just after horrendous summer flooding on the severn and teme. I'm guessing 8-10 summers ago. It swept away a lot of features with it!

I also had one, or, rather, a baby version of it, which came in a job lot of tackle years ago. Sadly it was unusable and unsalvagable due to severe rusting, so I recycled it in the metal bin.

Good to know what it was.

A bit of an old thread now but had my first proper session for carp down the margins last night and it worked great. A bit gutted I couldn't have done more justice for my uncle and the pin on the two monsters I hooked but both pulled. A very hard balance between trying to stop them getting under the bushes and lily pads and letting them run. Great fun though I'll let my mum know later (uncle's sister).

Back