• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin help

Derek Funcks

Senior Member & Supporter
Having recently bought one of the Cortesi ones from dragoncarp, i have a bit of a problem. I attached the pin to a rod with a screw type reel seat, but there was no room between the reel and rod to put my fingers securely around the cork, the reel seemed to be in the way. I then tried using an older type rod with the sliding rings that hold the reel in place, although slightly better, i still didn,t feel like i had a firm grip on the rod. Should i be holding the rod above or below the reel? or is there another particular way of holding the rod securely? Any help greatly appreciated, thank you.

Derek, the normal way to hold a pin is with your thumb resting on the edge of the drum as a brake, either to control the cast, or to resist the efforts of a fish. This is achieved by having the index finger wrapped around the handle just above the reel, the other three fingers support the back of the reel body, then your thumb naturally lies on the drum rim.

Hi Derek, I like many others have just bought one of these reels. I tried it for the first time yesterday and having read the article above found holding the rod behind the reel was the most comfortable position and using my thumb on the drum of the reel. I was using a screw type reel seat and found it suprisingly easier than expected with only a few wrap rounds of rod eyes and no birds nests on the reel, looking forward to getting out with it again.

Back