• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin for Fly Fishing

Alan Manger

this might be a daft question but I'm looking to start putting a fly fishing kit together so what is the difference between the centrepins we use for coarse fishing and those for fly? They do seem to be marketed as a completely different reel but then noticed someone with a Okuma Aventa with fly line on so is there any reason you couldn't use the Marco Cortesi reel?

ta
Al
:confused:

A centre pin spins freely in both directions so that line is pulled off by a trotting float or quickly retrieved at the end of a long trot and most have an optional ratchet which again operates in either direction.

A fly reel is really just a line holder. It does not spin freely as it does not need to. The fly line is pulled off against a drag or light ratchet for casting and is not normally used for playing the fish, although it can.

This Okuma reel wasn't listed on e-bay by any chance? You often see both fly and CP reels mis-listed as the other by people who don't understand reels.

I doubt that a CP would have the capacity to hold a fly line and backing.

As has already been mentioned the fly reel is basically only a line holder, although there are some geared types with an auto line retrieval mechanism, similar to some vacuum cleaners with the auto cord re wind, but more reliable.
Anyone having a problem withe the Hoover I'm now an expert ;)

Ok, looks like I will need to put my hand in my pocket again :(

Saw the Okuma on flyforums.

thanks
Al

The okuma you saw on flyforums was for display purposes only, It was Rob who was selling it and didnt have a picture so put a display one up to show people what it was like. Like the others have said a centrpin will not do the job of a fly reel. :)

Alan,

Have a look at the Airflo VRC reels, very well priced, as are the Airflo Balance reels, I have both in different weights and they are fine reels.

Alan,
I'm in a similar position of wanting to have a crack at fly fishing but being reluctant to spend too much on kit. I did a little research earlier in the year and found that some of the Flextec stuff on ebay(sold by tackle discounts) has reasonably good feedback for cheap'n'cheerful gear. So far I have bought a couple of rods from them, a 9' 6# and a 10' 8# rod. IIRC, I paid about £17 for the former and just over a score for the latter. Now before I rave about them I'll say that I have still yet to cast a fly line, so am not well placed to judge the rods, but from what I've read by others with more experience in such matters, they are pretty good. The certainly look ok, not too bad a finish for a cheapo and supplied in a good cordura tube too.

Flextec also do a reel, this one here — http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flextec-AeroT...tingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item5ade43c70a
I bought one when TD still sold them with a low starting price, auction listing. They only seem to sell them with BIN, obviously sold far too many of them at peanuts and thought better of it. Anyhow, I got one for about a bull's-eye. It comes with a spare spool and is pretty good, for the money.

Alan, I bought a fully loaded fly reel for £30 from Hampshire Tackle in Aldershot. Good fly line and backing with a leader tied on. It's cheap and cheerful but it's the man behind the tackle that catches the fish. I bought it for salt water fly fishing.

thanks for the replies, unfortunately an unexpected car repair bill has put a dent in getting started. In the meantime I've got a few books out of the library and I'm now more confused than ever, so much so I don't know where to start wet, dry, nymph. I don't know exactly where I'll be fishing which doesn't help so I think I'll come back to this one in a month or two.

regards
Al

thanks for the replies, unfortunately an unexpected car repair bill has put a dent in getting started. In the meantime I've got a few books out of the library and I'm now more confused than ever, so much so I don't know where to start wet, dry, nymph. I don't know exactly where I'll be fishing which doesn't help so I think I'll come back to this one in a month or two.

regards
Al

Most fly fishing is wet. As a starting point, decent floating line, 50m reel of 8lb copolymer and a few lures cat's whisker, tadpole etc

regards
Al

Also, have a look at Yorkshire Game Angling (YGA) site

Thanks Jim, seems as good a place to start as any and at least I can just concentrate on one discipline to begin with, just a couple of questions is wet fly also good for coarse fish (in season of course) and what weight rod/line I was thinking 4/5.

Regards
Al

Last edited:
Don't go fly fishing myself but a friend many year ago used to use a wide drum speedia when fishing Hanningfield presumably with large lure type flies. His fish always tasted good

Colin

Back