• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centrepin Casting

Stuart Bradley

OK it's not a Barbel...but the other day I caught my first fish on a float with a centrepin...
A special Thanks to Sam Lloyd for the heads up on the amazingly well priced Marco Cortesi
Now I want to try feeder fishing with a pin but need some casting advice/pointers!!!
Many thanks in anticipation!!!!!
:):):)

6.jpg

Great fish Stuart!! if you look on youtube there are some good videos on how to wallis cast. The cast i personally do is a bit easier but it twists line terribly !! i'll try and find the video on how to do it for you :)

Stuart,

First of all, well done on your capture, will you please use an unhooking mat and not post pictures of fish placed on a concrete bank without one, it really does not set a good example......rant over.........

If you look in the articles you will find one by Paul Whiteing entitled "Centrepins and using them, especially for Barbel Fishing"

Stuart,

will you please use an unhooking mat and not post pictures of fish placed on a concrete bank without one, it really does not set a good example

wondered how long it would take :D long grass is good enough Stuart if you don't have an unhooking mat yet mate :)

Last edited:
Now I want to try feeder fishing with a pin but need some casting advice/pointers!!!
Many thanks in anticipation!!!!!
:):):)
Fish small rivers where you don't need to cast. Come to the Teme and you never have to bother with all that Walliss casting stuff.

Well done on the Chub.
Your casting will come with practice. Main thing I found, was not to try to cast too far to start off.

Regarding the unhooking mat (or lack of one) the plastic bag at the top of the shot would do, if that's all you have, or a coat, in fact anything rather than use the concrete.

Steve

Thanks for all the comments and advice...
Point taken re the unhooking mat...I do actually use one virtually all the time, on this occasion I had just wandered upstream and didn't think !
So my apologies to anyone offended. The fish was returned within a few seconds,unharmed, to the best of my knowledge.
I consider myself duly chastised, and will try not to make the same mistake again.
...Perhaps a hook in the mouth is also mistreating fish...heaven forfend!:eek::eek::eek:
BEFORE THE DELUGE....I AM JOKING!

2.jpg

Last edited:
The Barbel Police Force have a new unit: Un-hooking Mat Division.

Unfortunately the Common Sense Division was dispanded many moons ago.

I tried using a pin for first time today...it soon ended back in car and my normal rod & reel came out...should have practised first...:eek:. I was ledgering but think I'll stick with my Shimano Exage reel.

I bought the aforementioned centerpin earlier this year and have tried it out on the canal so far for carp.

I watched the YouTube vids and ended up using the basics of the Wallace cast to get the reel spinning. However, my rod action is more of an underarm chuck. I can cast consistently to the far side of the canal without problem now. No overruns yet, more likely under-run, which of course is preferable. Getting the correct pull on the reel takes a little practice. Timing and strength of the pull are the key factors.

I recently watched the John Wilson centerpin vid. Some great fishing of course and trotting tips galore. However, he uses an extra ring whipped above the handle and grabs several lengths of line with the left hand. IMHO, this is a bit messy, requiring the modified rod and limiting with the length of casts. That said, one cannot argue with John's deft control of the float through the swim or the quality of the results.

If you don't mind the line twist you can always try this approach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbslJGfZTCg

Or this

http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/walton.html

Stephen

S***.. I'm nicked! ..but the easy pickings exceed the punishment of learning, correction and rehabilitation.:)

Last edited:
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Man, if someone has to resort to removing the reel to cast then they`re obviously only using it to look tarty.

I think we need another new Barbel Police division......the Centrepin Cheats.:p:p

Unbelievable:eek:
The vid is titled....."How to advance key moon times to put more fish on the bank"....
I'm sorry, but 9 mins and 31 seconds later, I'm non the wiser how that's helped?????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
Unbelievable:eek:
The vid is titled....."How to advance key moon times to put more fish on the bank"....
I'm sorry, but 9 mins and 31 seconds later, I'm non the wiser how that's helped?????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Steve relax...All you need to do is let yourself and the barbel listen to a bit of Steve Hillage 'Leylines To Glassdom' whilst fishing under the moonlight and stars and you will become an expert in no time. A bit like the Russ Abbott TV add playing Des O'Connor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG3IA_J3s6Q

Not sure about the casting though!;)

Last edited:
Back