• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centre pins

Stephen have you been living on another planet lol...

Hi Stephen,
the problem is that you want to "TRY" a centre pin, if you buy one that is so cheap and does not stand up to the job, then you will not want to use one ever again, try to buy the very best that you can afford, i have 7 centre pins, some of these are very expensive, but i would not change any of them for the world, five of these are made by Youngs, i am sure that some of the lads will tell you about the reels on your links, there are quite a few good centre pins on the market that are cheap and will work very well and should last some time, i am not qualified to tell you what they as i have not used them, good luck in your search, and a happy new year.
Brian.

I've just phoned them they have them in stock so I might be able to nip up later to day and pick a couple up.
Thanks for the info all of you. It just shows that I don't read enough threads on BFW. I've been thinking of getting a pin for a long time but could not justify spending £100+ but this hits the mark. :)
I'll just have to learn how to use it now. :D:rolleyes::mad:

Scaz - as with everything, mate, practice makes perfect....though they're not as difficult to use as I imagined. Trotting easy, especially equipped with a pair of waders. Casting a legered weight is slightly more difficult and all about timing and slowing the line once the weight hits the water.

Paul4 has written and posted an excellent article of barbel fishing with a 'pin.....

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/usnabbotts/fish_cpin.htm

Pins

I've just phoned them they have them in stock so I might be able to nip up later to day and pick a couple up.
Thanks for the info all of you. It just shows that I don't read enough threads on BFW. I've been thinking of getting a pin for a long time but could not justify spending £100+ but this hits the mark. :)
I'll just have to learn how to use it now. :D:rolleyes::mad:

Well, Scaz, did ya get'em? Let me know when you are planning to have a bash with them. At least if the barbel aren't playing, then trying the various casts and unravelling the subsequent birds' nests will relieve the tedium. You should have mentioned this interest to me, I've loads of crud '50/60s gear in the loft, wicker basket, bamboo rod, flick'em reel, silk line, cane landing net, trilby and worsted suit. Only pulling your leg, I'm only jealous, would you lend me one? I've always fancied a shot at the FK and the Barnet cast - you know, the one where you face the bank, rather than the river and chuck over your head using the modifed FK. The results can be astonishing.

Well James I've been and got a pair of pins and picked one up for Simon too. You sound like an expert. Or are you just the best that can be found at short notice. I nearly phoned you to ask if you wanted one but last time we spoke about pins you didn't sound very interested so I thought I wouldn't bother you. If you do want one you can order on from dragon carp direct. But have a look at one of mine first. We're out tomorrow I know you can't fish but we'll be in Abbey Meadow from 10:30am

Well James I've been and got a pair of pins and picked one up for Simon too. You sound like an expert. Or are you just the best that can be found at short notice. I nearly phoned you to ask if you wanted one but last time we spoke about pins you didn't sound very interested so I thought I wouldn't bother you. If you do want one you can order on from dragon carp direct. But have a look at one of mine first. We're out tomorrow I know you can't fish but we'll be in Abbey Meadow from 10:30am

Thanks for the thought - you're quite right, I wouldn't really want one. I remember using centrepins as a kid and was quite broken-hearted when those new fangled fixed spool reels came along. Still, over time, I've managed to adjust. Will you be fishing with the 'pins? If so, take with you, a few hundred metres of spare line and a conventional set-up. I'll do my level best to get down to see you both tomorrow. I'll text you anyway.

Back