• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Centerpin help.

Andy Shaw

Hi all, I have finaly got myself a centerpin and wish I got one years ago, I have mastered the casting, light legering and trotting. The only problem im having is when fishing a light leger or like tonight a small cage feeder the line keeps tangling round the isotope, I have used the isotopes for years and rarely get any tangles.. Im only casting at most a rod lnth out and its just a light under arm cast, the problem seems to be before I have even started to cast.
Maybe just need a bit more practice or maybe im doing something wrong??
Other than this small problem im loving the pin:D

Im ranting now.....Help!!

Andy.

How are you casting and what pin are you using?

How did you load the line?

Im using mono (Daiwa sensor) to be honest I had a bit of a nightmare loading the reel, I ended up with the spool in a bowl of water the reel on the rod threaded through a couple of eyes, I held the line in a small sponge and then slowly moved it across the spool as I was reeling.
Casting wise Im just fishing off the tip realy, I took two arm lenths one from the blank then another from the next eye up if I wanted to get bit further out, but didnt do this that much.
The reel is the TFG 4" X-Pin.
Steve I have fished with propper reels far to long the pin is great when I get it right..lol..

Regards,

Andy.

Andy,

There could be a few reasons for the tangles mate. Without seeing you cast, it's difficult to pinpoint the exact problem.

You describe using the Nottingham style cast. Using this type of cast, when the line is released during the cast, a lot of slack line is running through the guides on the rod. This in turn 'slaps' around the blank as it travels up the rod, causing the line to 'lasso' your isotope!

If I may, I'd guess you are fishing with the isotope at the end of your rod tip?

If this is the case? Slide the isotope further down the blank (4-6") away from the tip ring. This will not stop tangling round the isotope 100%, but it does reduce it a significant amount. This won't reduce bite registration greatly.

Of course, the other thing you can do to reduce this problem even more, is to learn how to use the Wallis cast. This will keep your line under greater tension throughout the cast - thus reducing the problem.

Darreyl.

Thanks Darreyl, Wow im now going through websites and youtube looking at different ways to cast lol... Think a bit more practice before I try the Wallis cast, got the day off work tomorrow so will spend the day on the river and practice.. Maybe fishing in the daylight will make it easier??
will try the isotope trick and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Andy.

Only teasing Andy.
Most of my barbel fishing is carried out with a pin now.

Darreyl has the right idea, try moving the isotope away from the tip of the rod.
Mine sits between the 2nd and 3rd to last rings, or better still get an Isoblob.

Steve

I cannot really help as I have never felt the need for an Isotope or blob, but there again I do not own a Toyota either.

Traditionally yours

Hugo

The Chairman on Wednesday

I can't cast with these -

ux_a09041600ux0246_ux_c.jpg

- (devilish tricky things) so I get young Paul to do it for me. What a Wallis Caster!

As ever,

B.B.

I have seen friends with iso blobs - they are excellent, one of the perks of Bob Gill custom rods.

Cracked it, after fishing the float for a few hours I went on the tip and practiced casting, find it much easier with a lead rather than a cage feeder for some reason, sort of got the wallis cast working but found a way myself that works and only had a couple of tangles all day. Managed a good bag of roach and a couple of small barbel, loving the pin!!
Regarding the isoblobs, does anybody know if I can get it done smaller, they look great but think they are a bit big for my tips, have tried finding the old page that shows you how to 'do it yourself' if anybody finds it could you please pass the link on.

Thanks again all,

Andy.

Thanks conrad that looks perfect and to top it off i have everything needed in my tackle cupboard, will try it in one of the tips that i dont use much first though!!
Very neat too.

Regards,

Andy.

Heres my attempt!!
DSCF5009.jpg

Last edited:
Centrepin help - rod top tangles

Hi - check out my post that I have just put on today - this will help.....

Rich Frissen

Back