• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Casting with Braid

T

Trevor Davies

Anyone ever had issues with cuts on fingers when chucking out a large feeder when using braid as a mainline?

Used braided mainline for the first time yesterday when barbeling and was chucking a 5oz feeder plus grub 30 odd yards and was thinking that i should may be think about a finger stall (think that's what they're called) so that i don't slice my finger tip off.

Anyone else use a finger stall or had similar thoughts?

Cheers

Trevor

Just use insulation tape and wrap it around your finger a few times. This stops the braid slicing in to you on the cast. You .should be able to punch out heavy feeders/leads with no problems and the tape is by far the cheaper option

Hi All,

Just make sure you tighten the clutch enough so that it doesn't slip on the cast as this can cause some real damage and pain!

Once you get used to it, it gets easier, i have no problems and i've got girls hands!! (never done a days hard work)!

I always dampen the braid before starting to avoid wind knots, not sure if this helps?

Regards,
Jeff

Some people hold the line next to the rod on their finger, some hold it on the spool lip. I do the latter and have no probs. Concur with the tight clutch, that can hurt.

I just use a golfing glove when spodding with braid, you can pick them up cheaply and they save the fingers getting cut!!

Wazzy

You boys must be really powering it out when casting. I never have any problems with 30lb power pro. Mind you I'm a sturdy northern bloke with nice rods.

Conrad

You trying to say i'm a Southern softie Conrad? :D

Never used braid before other than for flinging small Mepps spinners for Perch and Pike so never had that kind of weight on the end of the line before. I've not actually cut my fingers but felt like it was only a matter of time before i do. Don't think the cold weather helped as my fingers felt like lollypops! :eek:

Trevor

Well you are asking about finger protection and do live south of me....................:D:D:D

Conrad

I'm from further sarf than the pair of ya and I ain't never sliced me fingers with braid and I mainly use it for spodding, I'd guess spod and bait = 12oz.
And distance work beach fishing i.e 150 yards+ with 6oz leads.

Seriously though just tighten up your clutch so it won't slip and the line should not pull across your finger.

If that doesn't work your skin really must be soft, so make your other half do the dishes;) and try applying surgical to your overly soft northern finger:eek:.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm from further sarf than the pair of ya and I ain't never sliced me fingers with braid and I mainly use it for spodding, I'd guess spod and bait = 12oz.
And distance work beach fishing i.e 150 yards+ with 6oz leads.

Seriously though just tighten up your clutch so it won't slip and the line should not pull across your finger.

If that doesn't work your skin really must be soft, so make your other half do the dishes;) and try applying surgical to your overly soft northern finger:eek:.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I have to agree with you, never had a problem, must be that we have a superior Technique:):)

Either that Johnny or the fact that i've always worked in an office and never done a hard days graft in my life?! :) Got hands as soft as the day i was born!!!

Trevor

Stick with the braid Trevor, no pain no gain as they say. I would have to laugh if your fingers are so soft, you would have to use a finger stall or whatever they are called.

Never had a problem while casting, unless as said the clutch is too loose, although i have had my finger sliced open on a viscious take while touch legering.... that did hurt:eek:

You may wish to try a one inch section cut from marigold rubber glove finger. We tend to use this when punching out during beach casting. Never had cut fingers from mono but have once with Penn Dynabraid

Mike

As long as the clutch doesn,t slip then no real need for anything if just lobbing 30yards or so, more of a problem if your going big distances, big chuck, slipping clutch, just like putting your finger in a band saw-Ouch!
peter

Back