• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Carpet bait mix

Richard Burton

Bit of advice / help or ideas please, I normally get my bait in via either feeder or pva, but this year i am going to be fishing two nighters on the Severn, the flow where i will be fishing is not too bad so as to wash everything away instantly, just above Worcester.
What i am after ideas for is bait to mix that wont cost the earth, when putting in the region of 12 kilo in over two nights.
I realise i will have to put some descent stuff in there, (ie) pellet, hemp, corn, and was thinking of using Vitalin as the base mix, has anyone got ideas to pass on to what they use?
P.S, i will be feeding quite close in and can feed it by hand.

When I've done this I've used pellets, hemp and partiblend, with vitalin as a binder as it sinks like a stone. You can actually make up cricket ball size lumps in advance ( I use a little boiling water) and open freeze them, chuck them in well in advance as a prebait, include some hookbait samples if you are doing this. Recipe is basically vitalin, pellets, boiling water and just about anything else you care to add.

Vitalin ground with a blender or coffee grinder is a great carrier. Add a little oil or CSL for flavour.

I would expect 12kg to kill any stretch stone dead even over two days, that's more than I use per season on the Severn.

Mike / Ian, i was as supprised as you 2, as ive been putting in proberbally 2 to 3 kilo over 2 nights, and i thought that was a lot.
But you gotta try something to be sure;).
Any way it will give someone a feature to fish to when ive gone home.

First advice i would give you rich is dont put that much feed in the river..:D..I wouldent put that much in during the summer months when they are feeding confidently..:eek:

Craig, this is for the summer months, and i was of the same line of thought, untill i had it proven differently to me, its something I personally wouldnt have had the nerve to try especially then sitting on it for 2 nights, but as said i had it proven more than once or twice to me mate, so what the hell, if you dont try you never know.

Richard
I let conditions dictate how I feed. I fish the Upper Trent a lot with around four visits each summer to the Severn.
When the water is low and clear in the summer months I will opt for particles, small pelletts, hemp,casters (when I can afford them) and corn, sometimes as much as 6 pints per session.
When the water is up and colured I will use a scalded pellet groundbait feeder approach and only use around a kilo per session.
Problem with the first method is that although it draws fish into the swim they quite often get pre-occupied with the particles to the point where they won't take anything else. This often means scaling your terminal tackle down and fishing smaller baits.

With the second method there is no need to scale down and you can still fish the bigger baits. In the right conditions this method can be very succesful.

Paul

Paul, i totally agree with you on both methods mate, I have been having much more sucsess with 2 x 8mm or 2 x 6mm pellets on a lighter guage size 12 or 10 hook this year when fishing over bait, and as you allways fish a scallded pellet feeder in flooded conditions.
But as i said in the previouse thread, its been proven that it works on the venue i will be on, plus i have been after a carp off the Severn for 3 seasons now and this just might do the trick.

Back