• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Carp rod or Pike Rod

Paul Brown

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a pike rod and a carp rod? Once we get to 2.75 / 3lb t.c. rods does it make any difference if the manufacturers chose to label them as pike rods or carp rods?

Any views gratefuly received.

Cheers

Paul

i was always told that pike rods had a softer action to stop deadbaits flying off, don't know if thats true,
i have always used carp rods.

Thanks David.

I've been using carbon and fibre glass North Western PK3's for years but thinking about splashing out to replace these "work horse" rods. Modern carp rods just don't look as sturdy as my PK3's but I guess if they will handle 3-4oz leads and PVA bags they should cope with a decent deadbait.

Paul

I've been using one of the first carp rods I bought a fox warrior 2&3/4
test curve for deadbaiting and had no issues chucking out mackerel tails etc Upto 30 yds.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a pike rod and a carp rod? Once we get to 2.75 / 3lb t.c. rods does it make any difference if the manufacturers chose to label them as pike rods or carp rods?

Any views gratefuly received.

Cheers

Paul

I have been using carp rods for piking for years. I don't know for certain but I would imagine there is no difference at all between a piking or carp blank.

I have used 2.25tc Normark Cyprio carp rods for piking for years. I have even thrown 6oz live baits 50yds with them along with a 3oz tether lead. (Yes total 9oz).

I am sure it is no more than a label on the rod. I am not even convinced that the majority of anglers can explain what 2lb tc actually means let alone blank types.

We tend to get carried away with science when all you are trying to do is outwit a fish !!!

Bet if it labelled a pike rod it will be cheaper than a carp rod.
Rods a rod init,
Try ebay,I got a fox 2 3/4 tc 12ft soft action for £15 ,,brand new !!
Agree with previous post.

Back