• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Carp method feeder advice

Howard Hutchins

Have been swotting online about method feeder rigs,and wondered about
your views,as have spotted conflicting advice on leadcore leaders.

just watched a Korda Bit Hit carp DVD with a guy using the method,with
leadcore to a swivel pushed into the feeder,and a short hooklink,from other end of swivel.(says to pin down the line behind)

Thought yeah looks good may try it.
Never used leadcore,but looking at a bag of three leadcore leaders i bought
from "the fishing bag" the instructions say,Do Not Under Any Circumstances,
use a swivel to attatch the leader to the main line.

So wonder why,Bad news one end,but ok on the other.Just curious?? Is it for fish safety,or
leadcore probs tied to swivels.

Any other method tips,gratefully recieved.

regards Howard

Last edited:
Howard, the reason to never attach to your mainline to the lead core via a swivel is because it will not allow your method feeder, weight, etc to be released should your mainline break, creating what is called a "death rig".

These days however, it is also recognised that leaving leadcore attached to a fish is unwise, it could easilly get snagged causing the fish to potentially tear it's mounth i panic in order to release itself from the hook. Personally I think if you have a responsible BS hooklink, it would break the hooklink first.......but hey ho.

The PC way of using leadcore nowadays is via a helicopter or chod rig set-up. If you search either on google you will find plenty of info. The standard helicopter is for most presentations whereas the chod rig is just for fishing pop-ups or bouyant baits.

Method line b/s

Ian, many thanks,i googled the question,but could find no real answer.

Another googled question i got no definitive answer from.was what B/S
line for the method,without suffering break-offs.

Though have never used the method,was thinking of 12lb mono,but not sure if strong enough for long casts,but anything stronger would mean (i think) less
distance,if needed.
So then thought,shock leader,again having never used or tied one,would
prefer not to,if 12 mono is capable. Any thoughts on this.

regards Howard

Depends how big your feeder and load is, a large method feeder and bait can easily weigh 5/6oz, too heavy for long range work, it can pay off big time to keep the actual feeder weight down, an ounce is adequate, with a bait load of 2/3oz, and with that 12lb BS will be fine. Use a flying backlead and a rubber stop up the line, instead of leadcore. Regular, accurate casting is the key, same spot every cast.
Peter

To create a safe rig first slide the tail rubber from the method feeder onto the leadcore then slide a swivel with ring onto the leadcore so the ring is running on the leadcore. Next pass the leadcore through the method feeder and attach to the swivel that is pushed into the bottom of the feeder. Now slide the ring down to the feeder and push the tail rubber a tiny bit on so that the swivel can still spin freely but the rubber can pull off easily. You now have a safe lead core rig. If the mainline snaps then the hooklink can slide on the ring up the leader and off thus preventing the fish from dragging a large length of leadcore about.

Howard, these are good method feeders if you want to fish a Helicopter or Chod rig with a method feeder: http://www.bristolangling.com/8875/...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid8875

They fix on the end of the leadcore as a normal weight would and have an elasticated shock absorber to help prevent cracking off when you hit the clip. I find 12lb mono is fine even with a big method feeder, just make sure you drop the rod tip at the end of the cast.

Rather than Leadcore use a length of anchor tubing above the method feeder, the whole lot will slide off the line then if you're unlucky enough to get a break. You can thread the bottom of the anchor tubing into the tail rubber of the method feeder to keep it in place. You can can safely fish your method feeder standard bolt rig style then.

Cheer
Paul

Use a flouro mainline and fish it slack with no leader, this will hug the lakebed better than stiff leadcore and wont stick out like a sore thumb as leadcore does. Last year i had 60+ 20lb carp home and away all on simple rigs with no leaders or tubing 99.9% of the time it isn't needed. Place one of your leadcore leaders next to a length of 12lb floro in the margins and tell me which is the most inconspicuous.

Some great ideas here,many thanks for them.Think ill deffo dump the leadcore idea,as seems no rigs are really safe with it,and the worst scenerio,
is a break at the mainline end of the leadcore,means the fish is towing
leadcore and,leader around,so may go with tube or metal putty,to pin the line down.
Jeremy. Tend to agree with what you say.
Quote; Place one of your leadcore leaders next to a length of 12lb floro in the margins and tell me which is the most inconspicuous.
Though,anglers spend hours making thier rigs inconspicuous,but nothing more
conspicuous than a half empty method feeder that the carp will headbutt
to get the last bit out,strange innit :)

Cheers Howard

Yep i'm sure we make them out to be highly intelligent when nothing is further from the truth, i mean they have a brain the size of a baggies fan ie. a pea. (sorry Mr Lowe)lol

Back