• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Calling all users of Ray Walton Rolling Pin Reel!!

Alan Rose

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi chaps,

I'm interested to how secure the above reel is when in casting position. Does it clip in place? If not, does it maintain that position fairly well?

My reason for asking is that I am considering trying one out for pike fishing. My theory is that this reel in its casting position could give me a really light resistance for float ledgering. So, if anyone has any thoughts on the above, I'm all ears.

Al

PS This might just be yet another hare-brained scheme that should never see the light of day, but there's something that appeals to me about fishing for pike with a centrepin (fishing for anything with a centrepin really!)

Never used one Alan but I’ve always wondered if there could be line twist issues with a reel that casts off the side but winds onto the front. Probably not a problem for rolling meat but if you’re pulling back something that’s more resistant to unwinding itself then….?

I'm no expert but I believe the mark 1 had a tendency to twist under tension but was resolved in the mark 2.

I think line twist could be a problem with mono, I believe Ray uses braid.

Funny you asked, I use Ray Walton for float pike fishing with 2lb 6ft scope rod, because I can’t wallies cast well with a rod that short. Worked well for me last season.

The casting position is very secure, I think it kind of locked in that position. Although I never tried to leave the reel in casting position, but I believe it will work.

Never used one Alan but I’ve always wondered if there could be line twist issues with a reel that casts off the side but winds onto the front. Probably not a problem for rolling meat but if you’re pulling back something that’s more resistant to unwinding itself then….?
I'm no expert but I believe the mark 1 had a tendency to twist under tension but was resolved in the mark 2.

I think line twist could be a problem with mono, I believe Ray uses braid.
Thanks chaps,

I'd be using braid, and filling right to the edge of the spool as Ray does- basically like a massive fixed spool.

Funny you asked, I use Ray Walton for float pike fishing with 2lb 6ft scope rod, because I can’t wallies cast well with a rod that short. Worked well for me last season.

The casting position is very secure, I think it kind of locked in that position. Although I never tried to leave the reel in casting position, but I believe it will work.
Brilliant, thanks Huanzhou :)

Yes it locks into position enough to keep it stable in the casting position. Ive used mine four times and it does hold its position without any problem at least when i hooked a a carp of about 8lbs, it showed no signs of moving at all. I love this reel and ive took to it more than any other reel ive owned, including sea and fly reels. Id like to know one thing though, is the button is supposed to be pressed when turning the spool back to its fishing position after casting? At the moment i just turn it back but i cant find any info if the button needs to pressed like when turning into its casting position.

Thanks chaps,

I'd be using braid, and filling right to the edge of the spool as Ray does- basically like a massive fixed spool.
I know Ray did that, but from my own experience and especially what you want to do, I would say do t spoil to the edge, otherwise the line can come off easily and sometimes nested inside the back of the spool

Why don’t you just use a normal pin Alan.
If you are that worried about resistance leave the check off and set the fork drag up so that it’s just tight enough to stop the drum rotating under momentum

the other thing is ….. when float ledger fishing for pike on a river, your line going to your float has a great big bow in it. That’s important so that the current is able to to push your float upto the stop.
What I’m saying is if you get a run that starts to remove line off your reel using a float ledger on a river……… you’ve left it far too late to strike

Back