• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Buying waste lead - prices

Hi Jon,

Might have to have a go myself at making my own as i have all the stuff in the shed and i can machine my own moulds based on Jon's design, i have seen Jon's feeders to and they are spot on, i have been paying 1.40 for 6oz feeders which is cheap but at 44p per unit you don't mind loosing a few!!

Thanks for this thread Jon, got me thinking!!

Regards

Jason

Hi Jason,

Big advantage to machining your own moulds - the ones I have just bought are good but I can already see a few improvements that I would make if I could. Made a few up this afternoon & what little lead remnants I had got quickly exhausted with 4lb of lead - tho the other way of looking at it is that this lead only cost me about £2.

Just like bait, making ones feeders for a least a while makes one consider design that little bit more than always just buying

Cheers, Jon

I've been making leads and feeders for years.

I did go through a spell of selling them too, but to be honest, that was before some of the bigger tackle manufacturers made large feeders, and now they have cottoned on, its not worth the time of effort.

I still knock a few up every now and again, and have a fair bit of lead lying around.

Its amazing where you can pick it up from once you start looking......
Old dive weights been a particular favourite of mine.......

Steve

I've been making leads and feeders for years.

I did go through a spell of selling them too, but to be honest, that was before some of the bigger tackle manufacturers made large feeders, and now they have cottoned on, its not worth the time of effort.

I still knock a few up every now and again, and have a fair bit of lead lying around.

Its amazing where you can pick it up from once you start looking......
Old dive weights been a particular favourite of mine.......

Steve

Found more than one way of doing a bit of ducking and diving then Steve :D:D

I can see where you are coming from on that Steve. I have knocked up 20 feeders & it took me a while. Granted, I got quicker towards the end slowly streamlining the making of each part, working out best approach, trying to find old tools, realising I need to buy a couple of tools & eventually setting my stall out.

In selling them I doubt that people would be willing to pay for the effort put in. Nice thought, but it's like making bait - there's more to life than rolling & more rolling, a lot of people could do it (some better than others) & such tight margins.

i have been paying 1.40 for 6oz feeders which is cheap but at 44p per unit you don't mind loosing a few!!

I reckon that even at 44p I might be more gutted loosing one of mine than a shop bought one!

Next time I will break the stages up across a few weeks, one night make batch of leads, another make bodies, shape bodies, sort ties, assemble, snag, etc - but as I mentioned, making rigs, bait, leads, it is time consuming & somewhere there has to be windows for the mrs, fishing, time to relax etc. Probably mid winter & closed season is the time to stock right up or do some overtime to pay for such things.

Thanks to all for your help.

Jon

Last edited:
I tend to make mine while the soaps are on, or on the bank in the quieter times.

I tend to make mine while the soaps are on, or on the bank in the quieter times.

I have these windows too - the mrs commandeers two hours, 5 nights a week. Did not realise that you had quieter times on the bank mate, must had been in former life!

Cheers, Jon

I have seen the man in action knocking up feeders on the bank, I think Mr Frisby should hold a workshop afternoon on the bank:D

I don't suppose anyone has the dimensions of the cavity in the moulds so i can get the correct weight of lead when cast??

Regards

Jason

Had a result on the Lead front today, went to the scrap yard and got 10kg of good quality lead and on my return my Mrs mother said she had some in the shed......another fresh 10kg for nowt:D

The best type of lead when free. When I have a few secs Jason I will give you a ring with the dimensions if you not in a hurry, will try next week if poss - tied up for a few weeks trying to make space preparing for my next sessions. Just the new paste/boilies ingredients to get then I'm gone!

Cheers, Jon

This might sound like another daft question, but do heavier weights/feeders sink quicker the heavier they are or, is it just like dropping two different weights from height where they will fall at the same rate ? Also, i have more difficulty getting appropriate wire mesh than i do getting lead.

Thanks
Stephen

Back