• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bruce Ashby Barbel Rods - Info Please

Mike Window

Senior Member & Supporter
I have just acquired A couple of 11' Bruce Ashby Barbel Rods. One states 1 1/8lb TC and the other 1 1/4lb TC.
I assume they were made in late 70's or 80's. The blanks are very slim. I understand Ashby was known for Carp rods but cannot fine info on others
The test curves seem low for Barbel even at that time.
Can anyone provide any further info please including what blanks etc?

A bit of a long shot; but I had a pair of carbon Avons in the mid 80’s that were 11ft with a 1lb 2oz test curve.

Mine came from Simpsons of Turnford and I think were built on Sportex blanks.

Lovely rods that were unfortunately stolen.

I used to know Bruce and he built me 2 sets of rods. He used to use a lot of Tricast blanks in earlier times and more recently lots of Harrison’s.

Tricast did a 1.25 lb blank back in the 80’s that was revered in tench fishing circles.

I wouldn't say the test curves are low, even now, for most small/medium rivers. And certainly not in the 70s/80's, when a specimen barbel was 8lb.

I digress, however, and can't give further information about the rods, except I've seen one or two of Bruce Ashby's rods come up on Ebay - I think the examples I saw were Tricast blanks.

My first dedicated Barbel rod was a 12 ft 1.75 built for me by Bruce, who lived locally. It too is a very slim blank with a lovely through action and well suited to the smaller rivers that I fished at the time( mid 90’s). That is definitely a Harrison blank and I’m sure Bruce said it was Interceptor based. More recently I fancied having a 2nd to make a pair. Obviously, I couldn’t ask Bruce so spoke with Harrison who asked me to take various measurements along the length of the blank. Long story short, they were unable to identify it, saying that they had produced a large number of blanks for Bruce to his own designs. Sadly my rod will have to remain a singleton as the blank cannot be replicated 😢.

I would still take a rod of that test curve to be honest. In fact my favoured rod would likely be 1.25lb TC.
Wasn't the John Wilson Avon Quiver 1.25lb TC?

I would still take a rod of that test curve to be honest. In fact my favoured rod would likely be 1.25lb TC.
Wasn't the John Wilson Avon Quiver 1.25lb TC?
Yes I believe it was, but probably taking a liberty in describing it as an Avon, a true Avon is 1.1 t.c. or less.

Back