• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Britain's rivers come back to life

The Chairman on the Eve of an Annus Horribilis

Always an education to take a look at the nutty comments below such pieces, the Independent piece drawing the usual Wot About the Otters? plus a comment about sociopaths (the British public) below an accompanying piece about clearing up the Wandle in and around Wandsworth, London. What is it about the Wandsworth / Putney / Carshalton / Wimbledon area...? "Selflessly" cleaning up the environment on the one hand, whilst wanting to disappear anything that annoys One, like foxes or immos or the Feckless Poor, on the other... Very odd. It really does seem to attract the worst and best - at least, extremely well-connected - sort of "sociopath" ... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...friend-questioned-over-racist-gun-threat.html

Anyway, I have had Deirdre issue an invitation to a weekend at the Castle, as the "lady" concerned clearly needs to meet some true professionals.

As ever,

B.B.

Last edited:
This is what you get when the EA continuously widen the goal posts to reach their targets. The continuous changing (lowering) of the water quality criteria makes it easier to reach those set targets required.
"A new European law, the Water Framework Directive, will make ecological quality the new benchmark, and from 2015 Britain's rivers will be expected to be of "good" ecological quality. Yet, at the moment, only 26 per cent of rivers in England and Wales hit that target, with 56 per cent of "moderate" quality, 14 per cent "poor" and 2 per cent "bad".

The above highlighted statement say's it all and this is just another publicity gaining angle which the EA badly need to gain public support and to brush under the carpet their non-actions on controlling pollution and habitat destruction etc etc.

Whilst not wishing to big up what is obviously an EA good news publicity drive , I do think that in broad terms things have improved on our rivers compared to 40 or 50 years ago . As a kid you never saw kingfishers or otters , now they are a common sight . My grandad had a farm where the river Aire ran at the bottom of his main field . In the 60's the the river was filthy black , literally devoid of all life including invertebarates , today it is full of trout , grayling and barbel , something has clearly got better . On my local river Foss , when I was kid the sewage went in virtually raw , the river often had 2 foot of foam on it;s surface , fish kills were commonplace . Today , although not completely out of the woods , it supports a healthy fish population , the kingfishers and water voles are a common sight .

I guess the challenges that face our rivers today are different , over abstraction , destruction of water meadows and enthusiastic water course improvement to help drainage . We must never get complacent , but I think a look back in time does make you realise that all is not doom and gloom compared to those dark days of the past ....

The award-winning Wye (Britain's loveliest river) filmed by Hugh Miles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtZ7-vopLdo

Odd, as there are thousands who think it went to the dogs when the salmon went and the barbel and the canoeists arrived...

Like Mike, I can remember a number of rivers (mine in the South and in South Wales) that ran sewage-ripe or Bible Black when I was a tiddler, but now...

well, i don't know. i can only go by the early 80's when my local colne was brimming with silvers, dace,roach, easy, big bags with little effort, big pike to go with, now they have all but gone, big fish were rarer than they are now back then only 28 years or so, but better than the 50's when it ran like a sewer.

And I can remember the Fifties and Sixties on the very same river when it was very often brimming with the ripest of ripe sewage and just a very few remnant Hard Man sticklebacks and dace [OMG! A dace!] barely bigger.

PS - I believe that the shade she's wearing is "rose"...

istockphoto_486067-rose-colored-glasses.jpg

Open Country - 01/01/2011

The River Thames was recently announced as the winner of an international environmental award. Helen Mark hears about the river's dramatic transformation.

The River Thames was recently selected as the winner of the international Theiss River Prize, an award which celebrates outstanding achievement in river management and restoration. Fifty years after being declared biologically dead, the Thames scooped the prize thanks to a dramatic turnaround in its environment. Environment organisations now say that the Thames is the cleanest it has been in more than 150 years, with almost 400 new habitats being created to allow wildlife back to the river which is now teeming with fish, and home to returning salmon, otter and sea trout populations. Helen Mark begins an exploration of the Thames at Woolwich in South East London with author, Iain Sinclair, who has described the river as a story of ruin and revival and the very lifeblood of London. Travelling west along the river to the Millennium Bridge, Helen meets up with Fiona Haughey. Fiona describes herself as an inter-tidal archaeologist and the river as one of the world's largest self-excavating sites and Helen joins her in a beachcombing search for some of the river's neolithic roots. Further along the river banks at Putney Bridge, Helen finds a group of volunteers from environmental charity, Thames 21. Led by Vic Richardson, the group are working on Project Habitat, an initiative to enhance certain areas of the River Thames by building artifical islands and river banks to encourage suitable habitats and attract wildlife. Leaving the city behind, Helen heads out into the Berkshire countryside where she meets Alastair Driver, conservation manager with the Environment Agency. Cycling along the river through Sonning-on-Thames, Alastair tells Helen how this particular stretch of water near his home now runs crystal clear in the summer and how sheer hard work along the whole of the Thames has resulted in this amazing clean-up story. Finally, Helen joins volunteer river warden, Dick Mayon White from the River Thames Society, a charity which aims to protect and preserve the river. Dick takes Helen for a stroll along a stretch of the river near Port Meadow and explains why it means so much to him and why it is so important to preserve the river for future generations.

* Broadcast on BBC Radio 4, 6:07AM Sat, 1 Jan 2011
* Available until 12:00AM Thu, 1 Jan 2099
* First broadcast BBC Radio 4, 6:07AM Sat, 1 Jan 2011
* Categories: Science & Nature
* Duration 27 minutes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00x2yn1/Open_Country_01_01_2011/

Paul, in essence I guess acclaim can be freely dolled out but it rather depends on your aspirations as to there worth and as the well deserved title; 'dirty man of Europe' implies our nation clearly has/had very low aspirations for the environment.

Then again if you have a historically poo-ed-upon population with both historic and continuing low aspirations and expectations, as this country does, you must not be surprised when a fair section of said population casually and thoughtlessly mires its own bed.

Back