• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Braid

Neil Elsender

Hi there, still haven't caught a Barbel (30 years now) but still trying. Anyway, I lost one on Tues using 8lb mono so tried braid on Wed whilst fishing on the River Wear.
Thing is, it seemed so conspicuous and not bite in sight. Some people seem to swear by it in the fishing mags but what colour? I have a light brown and a green. Or do i just use heavier mono? Cheers in advance.

Personally Neil, I use 12lb mono as main line and 10lb mono as hooklength.
I'm not a braid fan for Barbel fishing, but plenty of others do use it with no problems.
I do use it for most of my

I dont know the River Wear, but if you've hooked and lost one on 8lb mono, why not just step up to 10 or 12lb?

I also use long hooklengths during low clear conditions, with smaller baits.

If you've hooked and lost a fish, then your on the right track, so keep plugging away and I'm sure your catch one.

Steve

Spot on advise by steve,
I have used braid mono flurocarbon and combo links all to pretty good effect , I always tend to stick to mono or flurocarbon These days, but I really don't think I makes much difference, the things I think make the big difference are using simple running rigs and paying of plenty of slack so the barbel feels no resistance till it's too late!
Also if you are fishing into the evening big lumps of meat are always worth a go

[/QUOTE]
The others are right,just up the mono,braid is great in certain situations,but have you seen how it slices through any soft tissue it comes against when under strain,imagine what it can do to a fishes mouth in a prolonged battle.
I used to use FireWire exclusively for carp ....nowadays I reserve it for pirking for cod and ling as once caught the chance is they are going on the plate.
Back to your mono problem,did it break at the hook or at a knot,could it be your knot choice that has failed???
Krystonite florocoated in both 8lb or 10lb is a decent line that has not given me any problems and bulk spools are relatively low cost...

Good luck

[QUOTE=Tony Scott
''The others are right,just up the mono,braid is great in certain situations,but have you seen how it slices through any soft tissue it comes against when under strain,imagine what it can do to a fishes mouth in a prolonged battle.''

I can only go on my personal experience Tony but I have not found that when barbel fishing.I have used braid for the majority of my fishing over the past few years and have yet to see any mouth damage after landing a fish-if I had then I wouldn't use it.

If the fish was deep hooked then yes I agree there could be a potential issue but out of hundreds of barbel caught I am yet to do that,I am also using hair rigs which always results in the fish being lip hooked.

Hello Neil,
Plenty of good advice there. I don't think that the type of line would have contributed to loosing that fish. If you ask "what is the best line" on here you will have as many answers as there are brands because everyone has their favourite. just go in your local shop and ask what are the best sellers and you wont go far wrong if you pick one of them.
I usually use mono in breaking strains from 12 to 8lb depending on the swim I am fishing, however I do use braid if trundling meat or touch ledgering as that extra sensetivity can be an advantage. I do not use Fluro as a main line after hearing that when fish bump in to it they spook badly because they cant see it.
Keep at it don't give up, because once you have caught one you just want another.
ATB
Colin

The others are right,just up the mono,braid is great in certain situations,but have you seen how it slices through any soft tissue it comes against when under strain,imagine what it can do to a fishes mouth in a prolonged battle.
I used to use FireWire exclusively for carp ....nowadays I reserve it for pirking for cod and ling as once caught the chance is they are going on the plate.
Back to your mono problem,did it break at the hook or at a knot,could it be your knot choice that has failed???
Krystonite florocoated in both 8lb or 10lb is a decent line that has not given me any problems and bulk spools are relatively low cost...

Good luck[/QUOTE]

Tony have you seen the damage braid does through experience??

Yes.
In the distant past I used lines such as Firewire exclusively,I know that braid has moved on but I feel the advantages offered are not so great as to warrant its use when I fish.
Its down to the individual at the end of the day.I will not preach to those that use it I feel that I do not need to.
My son uses it almost exclusively for hooklinks,thats down to him .
Also I tend to fish the smaller waters so diameter is not really an issue with nylon.....its a myth I fell created by the industry.
With regards to damage yes I have seen it and had I used mono I doubt it would have occured.
Ask how many time anglers you know have actually cut themselves when using braids then ask the same on mono

Last edited:
As a rule of thumb I only tend to use braid (30lb) when the river is carrying extra water and coloured or in flood, mainly because the thinner diameter helps compensate for the extra water pressure and the extra strength helps compensate for the added pressure a Barbel can exert in extra flow, also the visibility of braid is negated in these circumstances. In normal conditions I use 12lb fluorocarbon  only my opinion and reasons of course but that's how I decide what mainline to use.

Cheers,

Steven

Back