• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Braid mainline - what and why

Steven Palmer

Hi All,

I'm planning on re-spooling with some braided mainline for the coming season and I was wondering if some of you wouldn't mind making some reccomendations:

Make/Breaking Strain and why this choice?

Cheers,

Steven

i only use braid on one of my centre pin reels, following a recommendation from someone on here. the reason being i get better distance and no line twist, compared with using mono, the way i cast. haven't noted any vast improvement in bite detection as i touch ledger anyway

Power Pro super 8 slick in 30lb is superb. In a years time all the braid anglers Will be using it. You can pick up a 300yd spool. off ebay delivered for around £20-£25.

After getting some in various breaking strains and testing, sure Jon is right.
Impressive knot strength, better smoother 'feel' and in some new colours - Timber Brown, Aqua Green and Marine Blue.

pp%20500.jpg

Cheers
Bob

Power Pro super 8 slick in 30lb is superb. In a years time all the braid anglers Will be using it. You can pick up a 300yd spool. off ebay delivered for around £20-£25.

Hi Jon, i have powerpro on a couple of reels that i havn't used yet, and was just wondering if the super 8 slick was different.

Thanks
Stephen

I suppose this new version doesnt sink though??? Has anyone tried the brown version?

Last edited:
Another vote for Power Pro. I just can't cope with the coils with mono or fluoro. As has been documented on here many times, the downside is that braid does have a tendency to fray around the business end. Haven't tried the Super Slick 8, I guess the regular Power Pro will be discounted with the introduction of SS8. Nor can I see the various colours having much impact as the profile in the water will always be the same.

Last edited:
John

If I want to use a sinking braid as mainline I use Dynon 3000 SK; otherwise Powerpro

Back