• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Braid change

Andrew Richardson

Senior Member & Supporter
Not seen one for a while, so thought I'd have a revisit of an old friend. The good old braid thread.
I'm about due a braid swap so wondered if there was anything new out there on the market worth looking at? Or even a braid alternative? Be used on the Trent mainly.

I've been using PowerPro in breaking strains of 9kg (20lb), 13kg (29lb) and most recently 15kg (33lb). Haven't used the 15kg yet (would have had 13kg again but none in stock locally) but that's on my flood rods. 9kg is on my 11' 1.75tc rods and 12' 2lb tc rods, 15kg is on my 12' 2.5lb tc rods. Always found it very reliable...

Sorry if I misunderstood - The Garner Ultra Skin is a hooklink material
I only use mono on the reels for Barbel - braid for pike and Power pro at that
Whilst not banned, braid as a mainline is frowned on in our club as a barbel mainline as there were a couple of incidents where fish were damaged rolling on braid and too many rocks for my liking.

I’ve bought some 40lb Daiwa X Braid this close season following Jon F’s previous recommendation. Obviously not used it yet but very impressed on the smoothness and general feel of it.

Hi Bill it seems very thin for its stated BS, certainly thinner than PP8, which is an absolutely superb line. I'd use this in 30 though. The Daiwa j braid x8, has better colours though, even though I bought the multicoloured variant by accident once, a good 5 years ago, I get some funny looks but the fish ain't bothered,I don't really look at the stated BS anymore only as a guide. I mostly look at the diameter instead. If I was going out to buy braid for the first time, these 2 would be right at the top along with the Berkeley braids.

I have only ever used black amnesia in 25lb, tried fluoro, but doesn't make the slightest difference.

Hi Bill it seems very thin for its stated BS, certainly thinner than PP8, which is an absolutely superb line. I'd use this in 30 though. The Daiwa j braid x8, has better colours though, even though I bought the multicoloured variant by accident once, a good 5 years ago, I get some funny looks but the fish ain't bothered,I don't really look at the stated BS anymore only as a guide. I mostly look at the diameter instead. If I was going out to buy braid for the first time, these 2 would be right at the top along with the Berkeley braids.
Hi Jon,
I should have said I bought the J-Braid x8 and not X Braid !!! I’m a braid virgin but went for the Daiwa based on your recommendations and the diameter x lbs BS but looking at The Tackle Box line tests most braids are testing at roughly 40-50% of their claimed BS. The I’m almost nervous about using the 40lb because it seems so fine but the feel is great and the dark green is easy on my eye!! There is a little confusion, to me, on the TB test as they list a 37.5 and a 40lb BS line at .25mm and .32mm! Do Daiwa really make two lines so close? I’m going on the diameter so should have a line with a knotted strength of about 20lbs. “Proof of the pudding will be in the eating” when I finally come to use it. Got to practice my knots for joining to a leader before then. I’ve been having some issues with flouro this spring, again flouro virgin, so I’ll be stealing clear of that as a leader.
Regards
Bill

You won't have any problem's at all with the Daiwa braid in 40lb whatsoever. I have stopped some big Barbel.in their tracks on the TT and Mid T. Use with absolute confidence Bill.
Cheers Jon 👍

Back