• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

boots for muddy banks

Andrew Richardson

Senior Member & Supporter
anybody got any boots that are good on steep muddy banks. its getting to that time of year.

Been wearing a pair of Scarpa walking/hiking boots for most of my fishing for a few years now,they are lightweight,comfortable,waterproof,warm and give plenty of grip in most situations,a bit pricey but well worth it.

I had some Grubs and sent them back because they gave me horrendous heel blisters, replacements were no better so i abandoned them and bought some Harkila Foresters, pricey but good. Re steep muddy banks, you are going to end up on your arris no matter what boots you wear short of putting spikes on them.

After 10 years of use I have just had to replace my Le Chameau Vierzonord wellies and I had no hesitation in buying another pair. Incredibly comfortable, warm and hard-wearing they might seem pricey but given the use I have had out them (traipsing around muddy farmland for a living) they are great value for money. I have walked over 15 miles in a day in these and not once have I had any discomfort, other than perhaps being a bit warm in summer.

The sole is as good, if not better, for grip than my walking boots. I can't recommended then highly enough - the fact the designed hasn't altered in over 15 years speaks volumes. They are also available with thicker neoprene which would make then ideal for severe winters.

You definitely get what you pay for, they should last most people well over 10-15 years.

Sloping muddy banks is not something I've had to contend with but I can thoroughly recommend the Muckboot arctic sports, got a pair last year, can't fault them, warm, waterproof and comfortable.
The only downside I've found is that you also need to get a boot jack to get them off, at least I need one, cost me £4 from a tack shop.
This sort of thing :-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_jack

Rockhopper.jpg

After only having Skitex wellies for years I got some Muck Master Muck Boots and so far they have been great on muddy banks. Good grip all round and fine for longer walks :)

Dave

A lot of talk about what boot for muddy banks. The boots are immaterial, you need crampons attached to' any' boot. This will see you going up and down the most slippery of terrain like a mountain goat.
All my mates who have invested in crampons can't believe how much difference it makes.
Loads of makes and prices out there, start with Amazon perhaps, we've all got different makes and they all do the job.

They might sink a bit faster with all that ironmongery on their feet should they have the misfortune to fall in , upside, they could climb out again with ease :)

dog spike and flotation suit

Strangely no comments regarding my dog spike rope and flotation suit, If your going to end up In the drink the ability to float might just save your life:D.

like the crampons idea as id much rather wear walking boots than wellies and all these wellies are a bit minty for me at the moment.

Back