• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Book prices

Guy Baxendale

Could anyone advise on the going rates for the following books:

Barbel Obsession by Steve Stayner
The Ultimate big barbel experience by Steve Stayner
Modern Barbel Baits and Tactics by John Baker
Barbel a handbook of Techniques (Coarse Angling Today compilation)
Quest for barbel by Tony Miles and Trevor West
Understanding Barbel by Fred Crouch
Barbel Mania by Andy Orme
Elite Barbel by Tony Miles
Catch barbel by John Wilson (angling Times Library series)
The Amazing Meat Book by Andy Orme
Barbel Rivers and Captures (barbel Catchers)
The Complete Barbel Angler by Roger Miller
Barbel a Lifetimes Addiction by Trefor West
Big Barbel Bonded by the Challenge the Bob Church compilation

Many thanks for your help.
Guy

I should think twenty quid the lot would be reasonable Guy. If you could let me know how you would like me to pay, I will sort it now mate :)

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Guy,
none of the titles you have listed would command a very high price.
The hardback version of John Baker's fetches a few quid. The rest I would say £15-£40 depending on condition, 1st edition etc.
you've missed out the more valuable titles...
Tim

Guy,

If you go on eBay with the title then click on 'completed listings' on the left hand toolbar you'll get an idea on what, if any, have sold on there recently.

Cheers,

Gavin

Guy, are you looking to sell complete lot or as individual lots. Very interested in a number of the titles among them 'Quest for Barbel' Lost my signed copy, deeply regretted.

Always wondered how you did that - Thanks Gavin
Ideally don't want to sell on ebay

You could always try the likes of BookFinder.com: Search for New & Used Books, Textbooks, Out-of-Print and Rare Books but the prices aren't always that realistic though I guess someone must buy from them.

I value books for a charity shop and find that the eBay 'completed listings' are a little more realistic to use as a guide. I use 'bookfinder' if it is a particularly rare book.

Hi Guy, I'd be interested in Barbel Obsession - Steve Stayner and Modern Barbel Baits and Tactics - John Baker :)

Is there still a market for books? I've been very disappointed with the prices some are fetching on ebay recently, I'm thinking of selling a few on Amazon just as a trial.

You could always try the likes of BookFinder.com: Search for New & Used Books, Textbooks, Out-of-Print and Rare Books but the prices aren't always that realistic though I guess someone must buy from them.

I value books for a charity shop and find that the eBay 'completed listings' are a little more realistic to use as a guide. I use 'bookfinder' if it is a particularly rare book.

Gavin.Many thanks for a great link,ive just checked my mint copy of chub
by the chub study group...£100 to £160 may flog it:D

I'll give you a tenner H

Ade,ill do you a straight swop for that enormous tank you drive:D

Am very suprised that Freds "Skies of fire rivers of gold" only makes
same as i paid,considering its limited to 250 copies,yet my Buller books,
Pike,Pike and the Pike angler,and Doomsday book of pike,have at least
doubled/trebled the price i paid.

One trip to the Trent and back is costing me the true value of that book 'H', thank god it's only a fishing truck and I've got a modern derv sipper for day to day and the odd dash to Scotland.

Ade,ill do you a straight swop for that enormous tank you drive:D

Am very suprised that Freds "Skies of fire rivers of gold" only makes
same as i paid,considering its limited to 250 copies,yet my Buller books,
Pike,Pike and the Pike angler,and Doomsday book of pike,have at least
doubled/trebled the price i paid.

I wouldn't use Abe Books as a true guide, some of those books have been listed on there for months unsold.
The Ebay completed listings would give you a better idea.

Disapointed with the price books are making on E Bay?

I have been trying to get a copy of Chevin by the CSG, £80.00 plus......one on there starting price is £140.00.

I have managed to get all the barbel books in leatherbound copies over the years and have spent quite a few pounds as a result. There are some mysterious happenings with barbel books and no doubt books about other species, "obsession" being one case in point. I didn't buy them to make money and prices are relative to desirability. One day, a book may sell for £200 and the next week for half of that figure. I could put a figure on what I THINK a book is worth which may be well over or under what someone else says.

As regards the two chub books, i would suggest "chevin" is around £150 with the second one around £100.

Quite a few people have sold their collections over the last few years due no doubt to socio-economic factors and books have been relatively easy to get hold of with multiple copies available. That is possibly why some bargains have been available?

Best regards,

Jeff

Back