• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Boiling spikes

Jason Bean

Any one use them instead of a loop and stop? Went out last night and thought this is a faff trying to get the stop on in the dark.

Bought some metal ones today and wondered if the weight made any difference at all.

Will give them a go and see what happens

I’ve used them for years Jason,... mostly for match sized boilies.
I make my own from cheap fine wire eyed 10’s.
Bait stays on well and gives good presentation. Like them for winter chub fishing and have always referred to them as a bayonet rig.:)

Yes Dave. Also ideal to thread maggots onto if you are fishing them. I tend to go down to a size 14 fine wire then.

I ought 2 types and he bayonet ones and the twisted wire screw ones, just died them and surprised how well the bookie stays on, just wondering wether the chub could pluck them off

Were they the Taska ones with the ring Jason ?, if so the ring fits on the gardner pop up hook aligner well and make things very tidy,the boilie is then held in the correct place.They work well and make baiting up easy after dark,i use the spiked type small size for 10mm boilies.It can be a bit fiddly getting the hooklink thru the end of the pop up aligner but use a sewing needle at home to pre-make hooklengths.

I made a few rigs up a while back and I tend to use them for the 10mm boilies more. My dad found them very useful as he has arthritis in his hands and poor eye sight, so he struggles with tiny boilie stops!

Were they the Taska ones with the ring Jason ?, if so the ring fits on the gardner pop up hook aligner well and make things very tidy,the boilie is then held in the correct place.They work well and make baiting up easy after dark,i use the spiked type small size for 10mm boilies.It can be a bit fiddly getting the hooklink thru the end of the pop up aligner but use a sewing needle at home to pre-make hooklengths.

Funny you say that, I looked at those gardner aligners today and thought they would work well with them the ring and spike. The 2 types I got both have the ring on. Just dying them tonight and if I get on with them I’ll try the aligners

On our fisheries we are limited to one hour after sunset by which time it is properly dark. Sod's Law say you will always get a fish nick the bait off the hair as the light gets too low to see to use a baiting needle.

What I do is bait up a couple of hook lengths before the light goes and if the inevitable happens it is easier to unclip the hook length and attach a new one in limited light.

well I'm not proud of my spelling in this thread and I don't even drink!

my first trip out on Friday night after barbel but content with anything I had 5 chub and 2 bream on standard hair rig and stop.

went out Saturday night, same boilies using a metal bayonet and only had tentative plucks at the bait, with not a single fish.

how's that for knocking your confidence when trying something new.

On our fisheries we are limited to one hour after sunset by which time it is properly dark. Sod's Law say you will always get a fish nick the bait off the hair as the light gets too low to see to use a baiting needle.

What I do is bait up a couple of hook lengths before the light goes and if the inevitable happens it is easier to unclip the hook length and attach a new one in limited light.

I tend to rove around for around 5/6 hours in the dark fishing as many swims and at the moment using glugged baits(not that they're doing me much good) so having them ready mounted is not much help as I'll probably cast 20 times with a fresh bait on each time.

basically I cant sit still for 5 mins!

Do you think the spike added to the length of your Hair Jason, so made it easy for the fish to avoid the hook point,the aligner will keep it tight to the back if so.

I managed to pull the spike right up to the shank when tying the hook on so whether the hook was too close to the bait I don't know and whether chub were picking it up they were feeling the hook against there lips I don't know...I should imagine if it had been barbel it wouldn't matter but I've not found them at the moment.

with chub I've always tended to bury a bait or a slightly longer than normal hair...will have to try the aligners and see how I get on.

I use the Drennan push stops Guru make something similar, I tie the stops into the hair loop, and use the tool to push them through the boilie.

Been very good on the Cray waters I fish, they cant pull the boilie off!

Can anybody explain how to use hooks instead of boilie spikes.
I can't imagine it involves straightening out a hook .

Neil

Hi Neil
I'd snip the the point and most of the bend off with side cutters,leaving you with just the shank of the hook to spike bait onto,as said above fine wire hooks
Regs,John

Hi John

That's what I thought might be the case.

The boillie spikes are barbed to hold the boillie but with a cut off hook I would assume a spot of superglue would be needed as well.

Neil

Hi John

That's what I thought might be the case.

The boillie spikes are barbed to hold the boillie but with a cut off hook I would assume a spot of superglue would be needed as well.

Neil

Hi Neil
When you cut the hook make sure you cut it just after the bend then push it right into the boilie it will stay on no problem!! we used to use this method years ago when fishing for carp.

Hi Dave

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

Its been a long time since I saw you on the Kennet- hope everything is going well for you.

Neil

Haven't tried it yet, but will give the elastic band method a go. Superglue a few pellets or boillies to a strip of the rubber, leaving a space between each to cut and use the tag end to secure on your hook.
What possibly could go wrong? ;)

Back