• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Boilies for tench

Well I can’t lie Steve they’re actually all nine pounders.The last one I thought was going to be my first double but proved to be a
couple of ounces shy.
I’m only slightly taller than an umpa lumpa which can make some things appear larger than life . Alas not all things 😊
They were all caught on 10 mm pop ups on scaled down carp rigs fished over 10 millers.A lot of my local tench waters are full of two to four pounders so that’s my preferred method these days.
Still get the float rod out now and then just for the fun of it.
Well caught Sir and great pictures 👍Still waiting for my first nine Bob and if I can look as good in a photo as you do in those three I’ll be tickled pink. There’s a knack to holding and presenting the fish (which I don’t have and you do) without doing the old carp anglers trick of holding them out to the camera. I’ve definitely got to give the boilie approach some thought for sure, it’ll be cheaper in the long run than the price of two/three pints of maggots each day I go.

Well caught Sir and great pictures 👍Still waiting for my first nine Bob and if I can look as good in a photo as you do in those three I’ll be tickled pink. There’s a knack to holding and presenting the fish (which I don’t have and you do) without doing the old carp anglers trick of holding them out to the camera. I’ve definitely got to give the boilie approach some thought for sure, it’ll be cheaper in the long run than the price of two/three pints of maggots each day I go.
Thanks Bill , as an ex carper I still roll my own and use the close season tenching as a good time to experiment. If you find a winner it’s a good confidence booster before the start on the rivers I find.
My present barbel bait was discovered that way . Keeps it interesting.
Good luck

Well I can’t lie Steve they’re actually all nine pounders.The last one I thought was going to be my first double but proved to be a
couple of ounces shy.
I’m only slightly taller than an umpa lumpa which can make some things appear larger than life . Alas not all things 😊
They were all caught on 10 mm pop ups on scaled down carp rigs fished over 10 millers.A lot of my local tench waters are full of two to four pounders so that’s my preferred method these days.
Still get the float rod out now and then just for the fun of it.
Stuck on 9.12 for 20 years Bob..

Nice fish.

Stuck on 9.12 for 20 years Bob..

Nice fish.
Thanks Graham it’ll happen one day mate, probably out of the blue,that’s what I keep telling myself.
They’re handsome fish no matter the size and I’ve had seven and eight pounders fool me into thinking they were carp on the first couple of runs.
As you know only too well you can’t beat a bit of variety.

I have some boilies (dynamite hot fish glm) and pellet (hinders elipse) left from my barbel fishing, don't want to wast them and can't freeze them, wondering if I can use for tench.

I have some boilies (dynamite hot fish glm) and pellet (hinders elipse) left from my barbel fishing, don't want to wast them and can't freeze them, wondering if I can use for tench.
Definitely Huanzhou.

You will catch using both as hookbaits, but personally I'd crush them and use them as a groundbait for balling in, and added to a method mix.

With groundbait/loosefeed for tench I like lots of different sizes and shapes as it means the way they suck and blow when feeding is less regular, and they are less likely to detect the one with the hook.

Having oily baits in your swim also helps provide you with confidence boosting flat spots!

Afternoon all

I'm planning on mainly fishing more traditional baits but might put a little boilie on overnight.

I haven't had many tench on boilies but remember catching a decent one on a now discontinued Dynamite GLM, lost a good one whilst carp fishing with CC Moore Live System and think I've had a couple of nice ones out of the Thames on Source, but can't remember the bait on those for sure. As far as I can remember they're the only tench I've taken on boilies.

I'd like to hear if anyones had particularly good results on one anyway.

Perhaps I'd be better off on a piece of flavoured fake corn. Interestingly I think 3/4 above had a piece of fake yellow corn on the end and the other one, fake pink corn.
Mini Richworth esterberry boilies were brilliant baits when I use to use them. Not sure if still available? Also take a look at 'Tincaberry' from the hook bait company. Comes highly recommended as a dedicated tench boilie if such a thing exists, personally I don't beleive it does... But no harm in checking them out...

ASAP a superb bait for barbel too. Yately Angling did them. My last lot direct from Glyn at Arborfield

Can't remember the two guys who did the field testing on the Kennet. Steve? And ???

Anyone remember?
Use to be my go to bait. Make something myself these days not too dissimilar to that recipe. Glynns garlic fishmeal base is a good bait to.

Back