• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Boddington reservoir

Michael Weir

With the rivers being so low. I decided to go to Boddington yesterday . Quite low itself, warm and sunny. Had 5 commons out. 4 x7's and 9lb 14. Four between 5.30 and 7pm.

With the rivers being so low. I decided to go to Boddington yesterday . Quite low itself, warm and sunny. Had 5 commons out. 4 x7's and 9lb 14. Four between 5.30 and 7pm.
I fish it quite regularl. Easy to get 100lb+ of carp in 3-4 hours as long as you fish no more than 20yards out. No sign of barbel but get the odd tench and it is supposedly good for pike in the winter but have never touched one spinning. Most ledger much too far out and neglect the margins.

Thanks Richard, I know 5 carp is slow there. I was about 40 metres out. I did see one fish charge through right to left about 20 out.

Michael
40 yards is much too far out. I usually float fish no more than 3 rod lengths out and draw the fish in with a little groundbait. Spam and sweet corn combo generally works well. I have seen the reservoir almost dry when BW dropped the level down about 25 years ago to net the fish to sell off. They restocked with small carp in late 1990s. It really is a very featureless flat plain except for a little deeper bit up by the outlet on the south dam. Most anglers are casting well over the fish. Good luck for next time.

Thanks Richard. I was up past the boat house. Mainly for the shade in amongst the trees. Is the outlet concrete thing that juts out? To the left of where I was.

Thanks Richard. I was up past the boat house. Mainly for the shade in amongst the trees. Is the outlet concrete thing that juts out? To the left of where I was.
If by the concrete thing that just out is the one probably 3/4 of the way along the south dam, that is the outlet. Weir outlets at either side of the concrete peninsula where water can run over when full. If you walk on the path to the left, you go over the outlet to the original canal reservoir (much too small) and can work your way onto the south dam.

Back