• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

bobbins

First used one two years ago when I was getting big bangs on the rod top after dark that were impossible to hit even holding the rod (big Chub). Balanced the bobbin aginst the flow with a combination of screw in weights and swan shot. Made all the difference giving the fish 'enough rope to hang itself', or at leasy enough to build its confidence and not to drop the bait. Since then I always carry one in my waistcoat pocket and have used it on many occasions successfully for both Chub and Barbel.

I often use one when quiver-tipping for chub and perch - it buys you a bit more time, though never felt the need when barbel fishing. At the risk of being accused of blatant plugging I genuinely think the new Korum ones with a chord will be perfect for this as they come with a simple clip to attach to a bankstick when needed. They're cheap too!:D

I don't think you need one when quiver tipping, a bit belt and braces methinks.

I saw a right sight one night in Bridgnorth. A pair of guys with a tripod each, both with 2 quiver tipped rods, with isotopes, illuminated bobbins and bite alarms :eek: They looked like Christmas trees !

Bobbins are used when using very very big baits such as half a tin of luncheon meat, gives the Barbel a chance to run off with it abit before gulping the lot down its hatch and the rod pulling off its rests..Been used for years, i used the method alot whilst fishing the lower severn and it works a treat..

How strange! Todays anglers mail sees john bailey advocating bobbins for margin fishing for roach and barbel, made sense too

Back