• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bob’s Island

I’m hoping for a day here shortly. Is the side water as productive as the main channel for barbel? With limited time I’d like to maximise my chances.

It's fishing not catching...surely isn't it down to the angler on the spot to assess the river.. fishing the crease for example.?
Sorry if I am being rude but working it out for yourself is the very crux of river angling, isn't it?

Everybody goes for the point,looking down river to Newark Castle. On a weekend, queing for pegs etc happens. There is a FB page. It's not my bag at all, but each to their own... are there any other stretches you fancy?

Like Jon says every one seems to head towards the point but the reality is you’ll catch on all of the pegs including the back water.

don’t dismiss the weir despite the fact it’s very shallow and rocky, it’s done some very big fish. It’s also quite protected round that way from the kids on the other side. They do like to occasionally send things over to anglers.

Not my type of fishing at all either but it’s one of afew places with a realistic chance of busting pb’s

It's fishing not catching...surely isn't it down to the angler on the spot to assess the river.. fishing the crease for example.?
Sorry if I am being rude but working it out for yourself is the very crux of river angling, isn't it?
I don’t disagree but my barbel fishing trips are limited because of distance and other reasons so any advice /help,as I said, to maximise results is welcome.

Like Jon says every one seems to head towards the point but the reality is you’ll catch on all of the pegs including the back water.

don’t dismiss the weir despite the fact it’s very shallow and rocky, it’s done some very big fish. It’s also quite protected round that way from the kids on the other side. They do like to occasionally send things over to anglers.

Not my type of fishing at all either but it’s one of afew places with a realistic chance of busting pb’s
I don’t think it’ll be mine either but your final remark is pertinent and the reason I thought I’d give it a try. And , given where I live in Norfolk, it’s one of the nearest reliable places for barbel.

I don’t think it’ll be mine either but your final remark is pertinent and the reason I thought I’d give it a try. And , given where I live in Norfolk, it’s one of the nearest reliable places for barbel.
would gunthorpe be nearer for you ?
i know you have to park in the carpark and barrow to your peg but its cheaper than bobs , you can night fish also

Hi Alistair.

A1 pits is just a little way downstream. I've fished it a few times, it's crowded, but there are 200 pegs on the stretch, so getting a swim is almost guaranteed. I've never fished Bobs, not sure I could put up with the locals, so to speak.

Something else to consider is buying a Newark Piscatorials book. It's only £55 but you have to be quick in May when they go on sale. They have loads of water around Newark. Might be worth a punt.

Hi Alistair.

A1 pits is just a little way downstream. I've fished it a few times, it's crowded, but there are 200 pegs on the stretch, so getting a swim is almost guaranteed. I've never fished Bobs, not sure I could put up with the locals, so to speak.

Something else to consider is buying a Newark Piscatorials book. It's only £55 but you have to be quick in May when they go on sale. They have loads of water around Newark. Might be worth a punt.
Thanks for that.

I don’t disagree but my barbel fishing trips are limited because of distance and other reasons so any advice /help,as I said, to maximise results is welcome.
I understand mate, just a bit jealous I guess....would snap your rod in half for a chance to fish there, at least you haven't employed the service of a guide.
Good luck.

Backwater has plenty of fish and is usually the quietest part. There’s a cracking peg (first one on the backwater where the sluice gate is) just as you come over the bridge onto the island. A few years ago the sluice was closed and the backwater like a canal, but now it’s opened it’s like fishing a fast flowing small river, great for both ledgering and trotting.

Once Autumn comes it’s much quieter on the whole island, midweek especially there won’t be many on. I’ve never had any bother with the locals, even when I’ve been on my own on the island, but they do regularly razz about on quads etc opposite.

The day ticket stretch at Gunthorpe is nice, but it’s a very popular walking/camping/inflatables/kids/families/dog walkers stretch in summer, and you can see more dodgy sorts than Bobs down there. It’s better later in the season when everything quietens down and the Barbel drop out of the weir itself.

Took me 4.5 hours yesterday to reach norfolk, at an adverage of 20 mph. This time yesterday would not have been a good time to ask what I thought of my wife's destination of choice. Today a balmy 22 deg. Perfect.

Back