• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Black Pepper Essential Oil , In need of some advice

Joe Fletcher

No Longer a Member
Being trying to purchase some black pepper essential oil . I was in my local Holland & Barrett store today and come across some black pepper oil along with a host of other essential oils . All used for Aromatherapy and massage .
Having read the label on the black pepper oil bottle .It clearly states for external use only .
Can some one tell me if this is the right stuff to use or do I have to find a different sourse and look again else where .
Thanks for any help and advice

Joe, if it is "Pure Essential Oil" it is fine, if it is "Essence Oil" then it may well contain other ingredients which are not good to fish.

When I was working in Saudi, we made various alcoholic beverages starting with distilled alcohol, one was gin which was made by adding juniper and coriander essential oils. I purchased these from the body shop at the time.........

Never been quite sure whether the Black pepper e.o. is double the price or more from angling suppliers (above Aroma.T. suppliers etc.) purely because of the inevitable 'They are anglers....they will pay anything' type rip off attitude, or whether it is a better quality, food grade variety?

I always pay through the nose because I am frightened of harming the fish...but I am probably just kidding myself :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

100% pure essential oil is 100% essential oil, there are no differences in quality, you will pay more from an angling supplier as they are buying and selling in smaller quantities than health food or body type companies, just like you will pay more for Acid Cassien, etc in smaller quantities...........

To be honest, I have nutrabaits oils, purely because I bought them in the tackle shop as I was there when I made the decision to start making baits.........The tiny bottle will take years for me to use at 3 drops or so per mix............

It will actually take a long time to save any money :)

100% pure essential oil is 100% essential oil, there are no differences in quality.

It will actually take a long time to save any money :)

Are you 100% certain of the above facts Ian...or merely stating an opinion? Does '100% pure oil' mean the same as 'food grade'? I think not, otherwise there would be no need for the two designations. Also, judging by the prices of other products in health food shops etc., I don't think they are exactly shy of charging the max where possible, so hardly think they would miss a trick on E.O.

Of course I'm only guessing :p

Cheers, Dave.

Are you 100% certain of the above facts Ian...or merely stating an opinion? Does '100% pure oil' mean the same as 'food grade'? I think not, otherwise there would be no need for the two designations. Also, judging by the prices of other products in health food shops etc., I don't think they are exactly shy of charging the max where possible, so hardly think they would miss a trick on E.O.

Cheers, Dave.

Having looked on different web sites for black pepper PURE essential oil and I stress the word PURE they all come up as massage or aroma therapy oils . When you look at the product info .They all state not to be used internally . So they are not food grade .

Having looked on different web sites for black pepper PURE essential oil and I stress the word PURE they all come up as massage or aroma therapy oils . When you look at the product info .They all state not to be used internally . So they are not food grade .

That is exactly what I was meaning Joe. Whether the stuff Nutrabaits and other angling suppliers sell is the cheaper gear at hiked up prices, or the food grade stuff, I have no idea. Would love to know though :D

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Yes, clever clogs, I am 100% certain, if you read my first post I explained that I was using them in the production of alcoholic drinks, hence I checked them out fully, very well researched thanks..........But then again you would not have been interested in reading through the posts, just simply find whatever you can, wherever you can to knock the information which others share freely...........

I have drastically reduced my input to this forum over the past year as have others due totally to the knock and question everything attitude of YOU and others like you..............

Back to the subject, essential oil is SO concentrated as it is pure extracted oil that it needs to be used in miniscule amounts, too much can well be dangerous and if this is going to be used in foodstuffs it requires in depth knowledge of inclusion rates, what to mix with and what not to mix with, etc......I would guess, as I do not know this for a fact, having not asked any of the manufacturers, this to be the reason it states "not for internal use" on the bottles..........

IMO, the only reason they state for external use only is because they are so concentrated, and will absolutely cause you to be ill if you eat it... Rather than food grade vs none food grade. As long as its 100% pure then there can be little difference... I've bought from cotswold helath products (google it) and been really happy in the past. Oh and nutmeg > black pepper!

Andy

Yes, clever clogs, I am 100% certain, if you read my first post I explained that I was using them in the production of alcoholic drinks, hence I checked them out fully, very well researched thanks..........But then again you would not have been interested in reading through the posts, just simply find whatever you can, wherever you can to knock the information which others share freely...........

I have drastically reduced my input to this forum over the past year as have others due totally to the knock and question everything attitude of YOU and others like you..............

Back to the subject, essential oil is SO concentrated as it is pure extracted oil that it needs to be used in miniscule amounts, too much can well be dangerous and if this is going to be used in foodstuffs it requires in depth knowledge of inclusion rates, what to mix with and what not to mix with, etc......I would guess, as I do not know this for a fact, having not asked any of the manufacturers, this to be the reason it states "not for internal use" on the bottles..........

Oh dear me Ian, you do get your knickers in a twist at the slightest hint of anyone questioning your 'dictates from on high', don't you? :D

As it happens, I did read your first post through thoroughly...I always read ALL posts in any thread I am interested in. However, you must forgive me if the fact that you stating you were using cheaper E.O's while you were (almost definitely illegally....though I am guessing here :rolleyes:) manufacturing alcoholick beverages in Saudi did not impress me immediately as something to be regarded as scientifically indisputable evidence of their suitabillity....silly me :rolleyes:

You say you have 'drastically reduced your input to this forum over the last year due to me'! I do wish you had informed me of this Ian, because I can honestly say I had not noticed. You see, the fact is this IS a forum...a place for ideas to be discussed and kicked around and argued over. If you wish to have somewhere were you can lay down your statements with no fear of anyone disputing a single word you say....I think you may just have the wrong place dear boy. What you need is a private diary...guaranteed no disputes, and an adoring audience :D

Mind you, even there you would have to be a BIT careful what you say. To admit, as you did in your last paragraph of the above post, that you actually have no idea why the manufacturers state 'not for internal use' on the cheaper stuff kind of blows the whole of the rest of your post into the cocked hat where it belongs, doesn't it old thing?

May I suggest Ian, that if you are going to infringe forum rules by going off into a rant which includes personal insults, you (a) get your facts right, and (b) choose your words more carefully.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Oh dear me Ian, you do get your knickers in a twist at the slightest hint of anyone questioning your 'dictates from on high', don't you? :D

May I suggest Ian, that if you are going to infringe forum rules by going off into a rant which includes personal insults, you (a) get your facts right, and (b) choose your words more carefully.

Cheers, Dave.

Apparently so :rolleyes: I think it is the second or third time I had cause to respond in such a way in 6 years or so............

Not sure where the personal insult was though!!

So, to give "my opinion" on this subject:

If it is "100% pure essential oil" it is fine to use in bait, however at the inclusion rates we are talking, unless you are commercially producing thousands of baits, it would take an awful long time to actually make any saving between say Nutrabaits or a health shop stuff.

The most important fact is that the Nutrabaits stuff will give you a suggested inclusion rate, I wouldn't go experimenting too much with Essential oils without some research into safe inclusion rates.

Dave,
Please dont upset Ian,I like reading his posts as he is an extremely knowledgable chap across many fishing related subjects and he likes my dog!!!

Cheers all and try and stay happy during this very tense time.

Back