• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bivvys on the banks.

On maybe 4 or 5 overnighters I do go on. I generally take a brolly. The lighter the better. Last year I bought a wychwood mhr in 50 inch. I can get all my gear in and wrap the sides around my Trakker els levelite. One of the best bots of kit I bought last year.

I got a 50’ Wychwood Solace brolly system not long ago. Great for the odd overnighter I’ve started doing it and for using as a brolly. I might need a shorter bedchair though, I’ll need to do a few more nights to justify the cost of a Levelite compact which looks perfect for the job

Just brought a flat back brolly from Preston, expensive for a brolly, but the quality is there to be seen. 40 years ago I’d night fish under a brolly often for a long weekend. Feet would be covered with a old army cape, so this Preston would cover all of you, at an angle too if you wished. The old brollies hand to be upright, crap in a wind and rain.
You young wipersnapers don’t know your born, in my day, opps sorry?

As young teenagers we used to spend entire weekends on the canal with a couple of black bin liners rigged up to the fence/hedge/trees or whatever was behind us.

Canned beans and spaghetti cooked in the tin on a fire and eaten with bread toasted on the fire was our diet for a couple of days.

Great days!

Used to use a candle in a jam jar to watch the fairy liquid top bobbins, hallucinating by the end of the night if it was windy.
Later we got a bit hi tech with a bicycle lamp taped to a bankstick carefully positioned to illuminate the plain peacock floats.
Brollys, they were for wimps.

Bob Paul. I too fished with a large tourch, no rechargeable batteries in those day either. It would attract every moth, daddy long legs for miles. You could also see the water- voles in the margins. We used PETER Drennan windbeaters, that would rise high out of the water when a bite came, but you had to be awake all night, real proper night fishing. I still think they were better days in many ways. The odd carp angler you came across would actually talk to you, honest?
The old bed chairs would tip you up into the water, unless you got up from out of the middle, lots of blood blisters from setting them up, and down!
Rich.

We used to use the old luminous paint on our floats that got a quick recharge from our push bike front lights between every cast, which was usually when it was too dim to see anymore. The push bikes were often used as a frame for our bin bag shelter.

Back