• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bivvys on the banks.

Richard Barrett

Fished a local reservoir last week, it’s a day only water. I was really surprised to find the Carp lads with the bivys fully loaded for just a few hours fishing. Is this becoming a syndrome when the building of a home to fish from, is a important as the actual fishing? I’m not knocking anyone, just wondered why you would use a tent for just a few hours fishing?
Just to say I love the new forum.

Carp fishing is a sort of sub culture . There are things you need to wear or use to demonstrate to others that you are a proper carp angler . The bivvy is one of these signature possessions . Others include a bank of rods with alarms , a bait boat, a camouflaged bait bucket , the list is endless . However the ultimate sign of a proper carp angler is the one who can cast a vast distance away from his bivvy . It's all harmless fun . I chuckle to myself at the carp anglers on my local pond , in turn they take the mick out of me fishing near the edge with my old cane rod and centre pin

Being in the business of producing and selling goods to carp anglers must be a very lucrative business and you have to admire the manufacturers ingenuity in producing such goods. Camo Crocs for instance?

Mike, you forget to mention looking lovingly at the carp's head or tail for the photo! Something that seems to be way things are done in carp fishing. I've recently got back into it temporarily during this three month lay off, got to say that wandering around with an alarm receiver strung around my neck is a lot easier than intensely watching a rod tip for hours. Having made that frank confession I fully expect that an invite to this year's Ousemeister challenge will not be forthcoming! ;)

Last edited:
Fished a local reservoir last week, it’s a day only water. I was really surprised to find the Carp lads with the bivys fully loaded for just a few hours fishing. Is this becoming a syndrome when the building of a home to fish from, is a important as the actual fishing? I’m not knocking anyone, just wondered why you would use a tent for just a few hours fishing?

Setting up a bivvy for a day session when a simple brolly would suffice is one that has always puzzled me to Richard, even more baffling though are those anglers who get their bivvies set up before baiting up and getting their rods out! If your going to spend 30mins to an hour spodding out bait on a day session then surely it should be the first thing you do? And perhaps even odder are the anglers who when packing up, bring their rods in first before then taking their bivvies down . . . WTF?!

All that aside, I do really enjoy my carp fishing at certain times of year, I find it pretty satisfying and a great way to unwind for a couple of days away from it all.

Me and another member from here are currently bivvied up at linear enjoying all the creature comforts of full on bivvy fishing! We are on the lake for a few days though.

It's just another way of being outside enjoying the fresh air and wildlife and for some folks the chance of catching a decent fish is a bonus....so you can't knock it.

However though some guys just don't know fishing etiquette....I had to move last night because of knob heads who couldn't cast in there own swim.

My club has a goodish carp water a 20 minute drive from my house.
My son is a confirmed carp/bivvy angler, he doesn't drive so I'm roped in to do the transport.
He'll only do overnight sessions and this will involve a minimum of 6 hours loading and unloading, barrowing to swim/car etc. for the outward and homeward journey.
When I go fishing, if it doesn't fit in the waistcoat pocket it stays in the car. Bait food and drink goes in a carrier bag.
I have seen carp anglers using spirit levels to get their rods exactly 'right'.
Biggest advantage to all this carp crazy phenomenon is that the river banks are mostly pretty deserted.

My club has a goodish carp water a 20 minute drive from my house.
My son is a confirmed carp/bivvy angler, he doesn't drive so I'm roped in to do the transport.
He'll only do overnight sessions and this will involve a minimum of 6 hours loading and unloading, barrowing to swim/car etc. for the outward and homeward journey.
When I go fishing, if it doesn't fit in the waistcoat pocket it stays in the car. Bait food and drink goes in a carrier bag.
I have seen carp anglers using spirit levels to get their rods exactly 'right'.
Biggest advantage to all this carp crazy phenomenon is that the river banks are mostly pretty deserted.

:rolleyes: The mind boggles! I used to do a bit of carping and my mate keeps pestering me to go again, but it's a bit of a circus full of clowns these days I can't bring myself to go!

Being in the business of producing and selling goods to carp anglers must be a very lucrative business and you have to admire the manufacturers ingenuity in producing such goods. Camo Crocs for instance?

I've got to fess up to owning camo crocs John...the shame of it

Bloody handy though for quickly slipping into on the rare occasions I get a run and have to leave the comfort of my bedchair. Ideal for wading in to net fish, and they were in a clearance sale...honest!

It's the mindset of the new age 'Carp fisher' .... i wont say Angler ! They feel like they're not fishing properly without the full kit ..... 'looking the part', They're copying the 'names' they see in the mags, and online, who .... at least the old ones would be laughing their socks off at them, these types have never cast a line for anything else, and are to be pitied really, they haven't got the mindset of an angler, it's more of a fashion show :rolleyes:

Thought I would just add that some people put up a bivvy so they can go to the toilet without baring all to everyone.
My mum goes carping 2-3 times a week, going for a wee is a lot easier once she has the bivvy up!

What about the chest waders,so you can stand in the margins with a '30' for a trophy shot. Copious amounts of funny smelling 'baccy' is also required. Finished a 48hr tench session yesterday amongst the hordes of long stay carpers,not really my cup of tea,but close season tenching was calling.

Back