• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bite Alarms

Stephen Scaysbrook

Morning people
My nephew is on a budget and looking for some bite alarms.

Question... Is there such a thing as a cheap reliable alarm on the market for all weather use??

I have Delkim and Sonik but I've even heard of Delkims playing up in rain. Mine never have though. But these are above his budget so I was just wondering if anyone uses really cheap alarms without problems..

He asked for my advise but the only cheap pair I bought about 20 years ago from Argos had one trip in the rain. As soon as they got wet they started sounding off and never stopped so I thought I would ask a much larger group...

Thank you all..

Fox mini Microns are probably the best of the ‘cheap’ alarms.

A couple of years ago I bought a set of Prologic ‘Bat’ alarms ( 3 and a sounder box for 80 quid) just see how good they were as the reviews were so positive. They were great (but a bit complicated to operate) and I toyed with selling my trusty Delkims….but in the end I gave the the Bat’s away to somebody who needed some alarms.

Immediately I thought of these Gardner bite alarms for you?
Not sure if your nephew needs something that you can fine tune or not, but maybe these are worth a look?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241013_085242_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20241013_085242_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 30
I'd recommend the Gardner's as well. Maybe some second hand ones with a receiver. I bought mine second hand a few years ago for £180 for three blue ones with snag ears fitted and the receiver.
Yes I forgot to mention second hand option, as there's plenty about. A receiver & bite indicators is a good idea also. 👍

I bought a pair of the Korum angle tilt alarms last year they've been out in all kinds of weather and have been absolutely fine. I must confess I put some insulating tape over the battery compartment cover as a just in case measure which has probably helped. £16.99 each but if you don't want the angle tilt bit they are only £12.99 each

I think the key word was budget, the gardners, although bombproof aren't what I'd call a budget alarm.

Most tackle shops have cheap alarms on the shelf!

I bought a pair of the Korum angle tilt alarms last year they've been out in all kinds of weather and have been absolutely fine. I must confess I put some insulating tape over the battery compartment cover as a just in case measure which has probably helped. £16.99 each but if you don't want the angle tilt bit they are only £12.99 each
I have one of these, only used it once but it seemed a little loose when adjusting tilt. Did its job in the rain though

Delkim EVs are a fantastic alarm if he’s not bothered about receivers
I believe that might have been discontinued but sure you can pick them up on Ebay( one on classified now @ £40)

Morning people
My nephew is on a budget and looking for some bite alarms.

Question... Is there such a thing as a cheap reliable alarm on the market for all weather use??

I have Delkim and Sonik but I've even heard of Delkims playing up in rain. Mine never have though. But these are above his budget so I was just wondering if anyone uses really cheap alarms without problems..

He asked for my advise but the only cheap pair I bought about 20 years ago from Argos had one trip in the rain. As soon as they got wet they started sounding off and never stopped so I thought I would ask a much larger group...

Thank you all..
Fox mini micron, about £25 each, rarely use them to be honest, prefer to watch my tips, but they are great for the money

Back