• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bite alarms past and present

My first alarm was a halfpenny on the open bail arm of my mitchell 300 and an enamel plate under it the bait was a free lined spud later I bought a heron ( just the one ) and was fishing Cut Mill pond in Farnham in the morning a bloke rode round on his pushbike wicker basket big beard and started shouting your cheating your using an electric device !!! thats not angling he was going balistic the veins were standing out on his head shouting and spitting thought he was going to hit me lol
a couple of years later they banned hempseed as it was drugging the fish !!!!!!!!!! and the fish could not help themselves ! how time have changed eh lol
EDIT .... now its bait boats that are cheating lol
Now you are talking Gerry...I too used an old ha’penny (pre decimal for you younger studs) and a tin plate. Used that for 2-3 years and then got a pair (flash) of Del Romang converted Herons. Next progression was a pair of Les Bamford Optonic conversions but the battery life was crap on them so then got Del Romang (Delkim) Optonic conversions which had much better battery life. I’ve still got them in a box somewhere. When I got back into fishin’ after a 20 year layoff I bought a pair of ATT’s off my son for use on The Trent but other than that they stay in there pouch....

Ah, indicators!
I used lots of different non electronic in my early years. The most memorable being budgie bells tied onto monkey climbers. The least memorable was the sweetcorn lid folded in half. When I struck it instantly cut the line!
First electronic alarm was a Rolon, absolutely terrible it was and I replaced it with a pair of maladjusted Herons with a very unique sounder box. Bamford style Optonics were next, then Super XLs. My last ones were Fox MMXs which I found virtually bombproof. That was about 20 years ago and they are still going into meltdown for me! The only fault I have is that one of them has lost the two tone drop back differential which I find really useful, instead it just gives out a normal bleep. Amazingly, I found the boxes in the loft a couple of weeks ago, £59.95 each. That’s a lot of money let alone 20 years back!

Back