• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bit of a ask ?? 10ft float rod

Mark Thompson

Senior Member & Supporter
Might have been done before but I have not seen it so,,,,

Can anybody be kind enough to recommend a rod for float fishing a small river 25ft wide maybe 4ft deep ,with a very slight flow and pretty overgrown with bushes and trees.
Tried a 12ft and 11 ft rod for length but def too long so wiil plump for 10ft .
I would like to still enjoy catching a few silvers on such a rod but would aim ultimately to winkle a barbel out ,I am told up to 8lb.
Once a few barbel areas have been located I can then fish with slightly more beefy set up if required..

Are these pellet waggler rods up to much ?
Thanks

have a look at the tfg 8-10ft all rounder.......does me doing the likes of what you do........:D.........got mine for 30.00 too, so shop around......;)

There's nothing wrong with pellet waggler rods, but not for trotting IMO.
Pellet waggler rods are usually through actioned. That's completely the opposite to the tip action I want in a trotting rod. I have tried my own 9/11' pellet waggler rod on my own favourite small river (much smaller that 25' across). It should tell you all you need to know in tht I'd rather use a cheap Abu 10' match rod than the PW rod. If you go down the PW rod route, check to see that you find the action acceptable for trotting.

However, finding 10' match rods (as in a proper tip actioned float rod) isn't particularly easy. Finding a beefed up version to cope regularly with barbel and heavier lines will be nigh on impossible.

Look at the Drennan Puddle Chucker range. I use a 12 footer on my small river (far less than 25ft across) and am more than happy with it !!
Have to say that I'd also happily use it with heavier gear for medium sized barbel/big chub.....

Thanks for all the replies.
Im assuming a progressive action would be better for this type of float fishing than through action.
Such good value these little rods !
I dont want to get too anal about it as its so overgrown down there, I reckon a cheapy rod is way to go.

Had a Walker mk IVG nicked from my car many years ago,,are they worth much ?

How about a Maver Abyss X Series Match 2 piece 10ft, RRP £32.99.Should be able to get it cheaper at a mail order site.I use one of these on small rivers,love it.

If you can still get hold of one, I think the Mitchell Premium 2 10ft Match rod will suit the bill perfectly. Had one for just the same situation as yourself. As Mitchell are part of the Pure Fishing Company they may even release them under one of their other makes. STOP PRESS- Theres one available new on -bay as we type

I know im gonna get ripped for this,,but a few years back argos were selling off leeda 2xl carp waggler float rods for 10 quid each,,i think you can still get em on fleabay for 20 odd quid,,its similar in action to a light avon rod,i can honestly say I had defo my 10 quids worth out of that rod,barbel to 14lb whilst chubbing,a 23lb carp whilst tenching,it just seemed to bend further and further but still have power in the butt ,I used mine with reel lines of 4-8lb,its a very light carbon rod but imo outperformed many other rods ive used,was a bit gutted when it was killed in a car door to be honest

I have a 10 ft maver abyss float rod.last year on a pond this rod one afternoon landed 11 carp for me including 3of them into double figures the rod using 6lb maxima and a centre pin reel landed a carp weighing 16 lb 7 oz. I have also thought about using it on the river to touch ledger.i love this small rod and I have not felt concerned when landing the carp with it.i think I paid £ 35 for it
Albert

Back