• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Big Chub Length/Girth

Matthew Collier

Hi

I have set up this thread as I thought it would be interesting to see if we can get some sort of record of comparitive length/girths of some of these very large Chub that have been coming out of late. Would possibly also help some anglers to 'guesstimate' some fish they may observe in the water that evade capture.

Can any of you guys who have caught or who catch in the future a big Chub over 7lb 8oz please post its size on this thread.

Cheers, tightlines and happy Chubbing for the new season.

Matt :)

Wow how many replies back with a target set at that!!! lol

I'd be too busy shaking if i landed one that size to measure it lol

Brian

Got my tape ready for when i catch last seasons moooonster

This is a subject that really interests me.

I have always found that girth is usually the determining factor concerning weight as apposed to length.

I have had fish over 24'' long that have weighed under and just over 5lb, a fish as little as 21'' with a girth of around 15'' weighed around 6lb4oz.

The last fish I had last season was a pb at 7lb6oz and was 22 1/8'' long with a massive girth of 17 3/4''

This season I am going to religiously capture measurements for all fish over 5lb so come the closed season I can have a good look at the results.

I believe the Chub Study Group has formulated a chart with weight compared to measurements.

Have a look at this link as well, may be of interest.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/coarse-fishing/16894-chub-weight-length.html

Tom.

What do you think this is a Barbel forum! :D

Sigh,........I dunno, you try and grab a few peaceful minutes in a comfortable armchair deep in the "snug" on the "Other Species" board where fish are just fish and landing net handles are made from old broomsticks............:rolleyes:

:)

This is a subject that really interests me.

I have always found that girth is usually the determining factor concerning weight as apposed to length.

I have had fish over 24'' long that have weighed under and just over 5lb, a fish as little as 21'' with a girth of around 15'' weighed around 6lb4oz.

The last fish I had last season was a pb at 7lb6oz and was 22 1/8'' long with a massive girth of 17 3/4''

This season I am going to religiously capture measurements for all fish over 5lb so come the closed season I can have a good look at the results.

I believe the Chub Study Group has formulated a chart with weight compared to measurements.

Have a look at this link as well, may be of interest.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/coarse-fishing/16894-chub-weight-length.html

Tom.

Thanks for the link Tom. Was very interesting reading. It would be interesting to see whether the monsters caught now are any longer than back in '05 or is it mainly the girth that is greater. Would also be interesting to note the difference between rivers as to the relative size of these larger fish e.g are the big Chub from the Stour generally fatter for a specific weight than those caught on say the River Loddon or is it the length?

To this end may be lower the weight to fish over 7lbs to post on here then.

Would be particularly interesting if those guys who posted big Chub captures on this site last season could post the fish size, if they managed to take any measurement in all their excitement :D

Back