• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Big bream rods, not for long casts - Barbel rods?

Hi Dave.

Wish you had told me about this in 2018.

When you got them you said this...

"Hi Graham

Sorry I’ve not replied sooner, the rods arrived on Friday, they are exactly as you described.

Thanks very much

Dave"

Yes the avon tip was short on one as agreed. Quiver fine.
The other rod was as new complete.

If you had said one was broken on arrival would have refunded and claimed.

Hi Graham

Sorry if I gave the impression that you mis-sold me the rod, you made it clear that it was missing a bit at the top of the Avon top when you listed it, and that’s why that one was at a reduced price. I got a great deal on both the rods and I was very happy with them

Dave reading the above it appears that the tip breakages did not occur during fishing. I couldn't see how you could break the top couple of inches without it being an accident.
So that being the case, why not stick to these 1.25 drennans ?
You state you are not casting a great distance, or using heavy leads or feeders. So I would have thought the softer 1.25 rod would make playing a big bream more enjoyable than on something beefier.
I have these rods and find them great for tench and bream. I've landed a couple of double figure carp on them without any problems.

Despite having a number of the later Harrison blanks, I occasionally use my Interceptors. May be 'old hat' in some peoples book but still great rods.
Keep meaning to refurb the handles on my 1.75s. Have a brand new 1lb 10oz one as well which I find quite similar to Avon type rods.
Cheers
Bob

Dave reading the above it appears that the tip breakages did not occur during fishing. I couldn't see how you could break the top couple of inches without it being an accident.
So that being the case, why not stick to these 1.25 drennans ?
You state you are not casting a great distance, or using heavy leads or feeders. So I would have thought the softer 1.25 rod would make playing a big bream more enjoyable than on something beefier.
I have these rods and find them great for tench and bream. I've landed a couple of double figure carp on them without any problems.

Thanks Mike. It was my clumsiness that broke the tip off, it happened when the rod was in the rod hold all

I didn’t buy the 1.25s for fishing for these fish at this range (although as you say the range isn’t really an issue if I’m not casting). I felt they were a bit light in the tc

Despite having a number of the later Harrison blanks, I occasionally use my Interceptors. May be 'old hat' in some peoples book but still great rods.
Keep meaning to refurb the handles on my 1.75s. Have a brand new 1lb 10oz one as well which I find quite similar to Avon type rods.
Cheers
Bob

Thanks

Do you think any of the other Harrison’s would be good for it - the Chimeras or the 12’ Torrixs?

Both the 1.75 Chimera and Torrix would do the job.

The 1.75 torrix is used by a few roach anglers for maggot feeder fishing at range, compared with the Interceptor 1.75 it has a softer tip, but, imo, a less forgiving butt section.

The Chimera 2 (1.75) is the more powerful of the 3, and used by a lot of tench anglers.

The Chimera 1 (1.5) would also a great fit your requirements given you won't be casting much with it.

All great rods.

Will you be using braid or mono Dave?

I would not use the 1.25 Drennan 7 series for distant bream fishing.

I used them for river chub and perch livebaiting.

I think you do need to go up a tc to 1.75's just simply for pushing out a heavy feeder or similar.

I bought a cheap Shakespeare heavy feeder sigma supra 12ft line to 10lb casting to 90gr for just that purpose. And maybe chubbing the pushy bigger rivers.

Last edited:
Both the 1.75 Chimera and Torrix would do the job.

The 1.75 torrix is used by a few roach anglers for maggot feeder fishing at range, compared with the Interceptor 1.75 it has a softer tip, but, imo, a less forgiving butt section.

The Chimera 2 (1.75) is the more powerful of the 3, and used by a lot of tench anglers.

The Chimera 1 (1.5) would also a great fit your requirements given you won't be casting much with it.

All great rods.

Will you be using braid or mono Dave?

Thanks.

As I’m not casting and sensitive bite detection isn’t an issue I’ll be using mono, I think the stretch will deal with any lunges better.

Back