• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best tactics for when the sun is high in the sky....

Chris Cheshire

Hi guys, this is my first time on here since the revamp. I hope you are all having a good season so far...

The bulk of my fishing used to be done in the evening, but due to some pretty drastic changes in my life, i now find myself with far more free time in the day.

What i'm looking for is opinions on the best features to look for when trying to catch whilst the sun is high in the sky.

If it helps, most of my fishing is done on the lower Severn

Chris

The lower Severn has been fishing it's socks off during the day this year, most tactics work but in normal conditions I've caught on pva bags cast every hour or so, roaming or static seems to make little difference.
I'm avoiding fishmeal or pellet at the moment as the bream are homing in on it big style.

Hi guys, this is my first time on here since the revamp. I hope you are all having a good season so far...

The bulk of my fishing used to be done in the evening, but due to some pretty drastic changes in my life, i now find myself with far more free time in the day.

What i'm looking for is opinions on the best features to look for when trying to catch whilst the sun is high in the sky.

Chris

I think it depend's on what river you are on Chris.

Take last weekend for instance. Friday daytime, the Lower Severn was on fire, in the blaring sun and not just for me but for others present.

We fished the Wye all weekend and really struggled in the same conditions.

I'd say its down to the Wye being clearer, shallower on stretch we were fishing, however i have caught lots of fish from the Teme in the same conditions, when it is low and clear and in the middle of the day.

I'm off on the Lower this evening but don't expect much interest until darkens falls but being the Lower Severn, you never know.....

just got home from a really poor session at severn stoke..... not a single bite, and lost more hooklengths than i care to admit!

I have been trying to suss this rolling meat method, but all i seem to do is roll my baits into snags

Chris

PM Chris

I would not worry too much about fishing with the sun high in the sky, if this year has been anything to go by.

Dave

The Lower Severn Where the op is fishing is on average 40 yds wide and 15 to 20 feet deep. If you can find a golden flash in that you are gifted with x-ray vision.

just got home from a really poor session at severn stoke..... not a single bite, and lost more hooklengths than i care to admit!

I have been trying to suss this rolling meat method, but all i seem to do is roll my baits into snags

I know I know, but if you hit a 'snag' leave it a while, and the snag can result in a fish apparently. There is one very good exponent of this art on the Lower, and has a blog, of which I have not updated myself with, but he does very well, not what I would envisage as the classic method/ River to do such a thing, certainly not the Royalty is it?
I tried it for about 5 minutes, think I would rather float fish.

Back