• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Best centrepin for legering?

Hi can anyone recommend a good centrepin for legering, ideally one with an adjustable drag so I can change it depending on the flow etc? There hardly seem to be any with this feature (especially the mass produced ones from what I can tell). Any advice would be appreciated!

A Speedia Wide Drum De-Luxe (look no further; start your hunt on Ebay)

106564744.YFXsBDjL.jpg

As above!

I can't really see the point of using a centrepin for legering,a decent fixed spool reel does the job much better imo,although I have met a few old timers who swear by their trusty old centrepin and use it for nearly all of their fishing.

You'd be surprised, Steve, by the number of Baitrunnered-up barbel-fishers who have encountered and watched me fishing a pin for barbel on small rivers, seen me pop a bait into a tricky, midstream or far-bank hole in the weed with a seemingly magical, mini-Wallis Cast underhand flick and hook, play hard but sensitively (no faffing with a sticky drag during the various stages of a fight) and land some very nice fish ... "How'dya do that...? [getting a bait in /to there]... Nice fishing ... Might give one a try myself...".

PS - I have a stack of good fixed-spools which get used as first preference when a pin is not up to the job.

Fishing the Bristol Avon (low clear and quite high banks) and having watched Martin Hooper drop a lead without a sound with an under arm lob with his centrepins can make you question your approach. When the barbel are feet away but suspect nothing and then watching a prat like me drop what sounds like a small fridge with my baitrunners into a similar swim and watch all and sundry disappear you should take note. It will always have its place and used in the correct manner and is a fantastic tool that really keeps you in touch when playing a fish.

I can't really see the point of using a centrepin for legering,a decent fixed spool reel does the job much better imo,although I have met a few old timers who swear by their trusty old centrepin and use it for nearly all of their fishing.

Sometimes it's just about enjoying using them. Even if the fixed spool does the job better most of the time people still like the pin.

Hi men ,

Im using a centerpin on my rod , and Baitrunner on Sue,s . I also fish now and then with the best caster about , and the reel plays no part in his accuracy / technique . He is just a quality caster/angler , and a centerpin wont change that , or make him better .

Hatter

George,

I have a few and my favourite for legering has to be the Pete Reading Barbel Pin, see the reviews on BFW. It has the adjustable drag you seek.

Tommo

Most of the Aerial type reels have an adjuster spoke to alter the drag.
The Fred Crouch Wide Spool may suit you.
Have a look at the FAQ ( off the main menu and click on Centre pins) and the link to Paul's BFW Centrepin Database

Most of the Aerial type reels have an adjuster spoke to alter the drag.
The Fred Crouch Wide Spool may suit you.
Have a look at the FAQ ( off the main menu and click on Centre pins) and the link to Paul's BFW Centrepin Database
The drag adjusters on Aerial reels are to slow line take when trotting. They have no effect on the reel check which is used when ledgering. There really is no need for clutches or any other fancy things with a pin. The simplicity of the pin is the thing...if you need all the other stuff then use a fixed spool.

For small river fishing, where distance casting is not an important factor a pin is just far easier to use than a fixed spool.

You have a built in bait alarm and a infinitely variable clutch in your thumb. You can reel directly against the fish however hard it is pulling and never need to lower the rod top risking loosing touch with a fish.

A decent second hand pin won't cost a lot and will last forever.

Hi George - I'm a pretty recent centrepin convert and have been using a couple of Fred Crouch Jet (wide spool), purchased directly from the man himself. I would recommend them wholeheartedly. I haven't used a Speedia but heard good things......Mr Boote's advice is usually spot on (in matters related to angling, at least).

I'm still getting the hang of casting but I've vowed to use them exclusively this season, even if a fixed-spool would do the job better. What I can say with confidence is that playing a barbel is very different, in that there's more control.

Good luck whatever you buy.....

I'd echo earlier comments. Wide drum Speedia. Its a dream to play fish on, and the ratchet lever is in exactly the right place to flick it on and off with your thumb.

Plus, if you are fishing with 2 rods, you dont go boggle eyed watching 2 tips, just listen for the ratchet on the speedia

The tightening of the drag adjuster on the JW Young/RW Rolling Pin (as similar on the ariel), 'does' affect the ratchet's tightness to pull off line. Personally speaking, the Rolling Pin is absolutely perfect for legering to where you have the easy long distance casting ability of a fixed spool plus the superior playing control as with a centre pin.

Last edited:
Hatter the drum of a the pin slows the impact of the lead on the water imo, which can be done by feathering the cast with a fixed spool but it does seem much smoother with the pin in the right hands.

The D-L has a ratchet tensioner operated by knurled wheel set into the edge of the backplate, the standard model does not. However, with Speedias having a robust ratchet, a standard (later model) Speedia Wide Drum also makes a very nice reel for legering.

You'd be surprised, Steve, by the number of Baitrunnered-up barbel-fishers who have encountered and watched me fishing a pin for barbel on small rivers, seen me pop a bait into a tricky, midstream or far-bank hole in the weed with a seemingly magical, mini-Wallis Cast underhand flick and hook, play hard but sensitively (no faffing with a sticky drag during the various stages of a fight) and land some very nice fish ... "How'dya do that...? [getting a bait in /to there]... Nice fishing ... Might give one a try myself...".

PS - I have a stack of good fixed-spools which get used as first preference when a pin is not up to the job.

You indeed have a devoted and very loyal following Paul:)

Probably the best standard Speedia I have seen for sale HERE but at a price. Nice bloke though bought another Speedia from him he also has lots of books for sale.

Back