• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

bed n breakfast and day ticket stretches on the wye at Symonds Yat

Tony Bull

Can anyone Please recommend any decent B&Bs close to day ticket stretches around Symonds Yat
Thanks in advance

tight lines ;-))

The Saracens Head has a great selection of beer and serves decent food. We had a room at the front and could see Chub rolling on the surface early in the morning through the window. The beer is so good I wouldn't want to waste time fishing though. There's day ticket fishing at Bishopswood a few miles up the road. I'm not sure how you get a ticket to fish Symonds Yat though. Stayed with the wife during the close season, she loved the place.

The White Lion in Ross is popular with anglers as well again good beer oh dear.

Premier Inn in Ross is ok and can be cheap. Beer disappointing and they tend to shut the bar early.

Stay at Ye Olde Ferrie Inn and fish out of your room window Sy Yat west,
Canoes are a issue during the day.
Most of S/Yat down from Saracens is private no day tickets.

We brought day tickets from the saracens but there ain't many pegs you can get at. The fishing was poor as well when we went. 3 days of eels and chub

Below the car park at the Royal, just on from the Saracens, is syndicate water as Mark mentioned. FOr B&B there is the Hostelrie at Goodrich, Inn on the Wye and a few others - have a look on Trip Advisor.

Couple years ago had the worst meal imaginable at that Goodrich place and it was swarming with flies.Hopefully it has improved or changed hands.

Paddocks Hotel S/Yat west.
Looks grubby from outside but good reviews and seems popular, worth checking out.

Have to say that the local food outlets are not great for the money.... Sarries has gone down in quality of late... Self catering is a better bet...Flanesford Priory gets positive reports from anglers on the bank.

Have to say that the local food outlets are not great for the money.... Sarries has gone down in quality of late... Self catering is a better bet...Flanesford Priory gets positive reports from anglers on the bank.
Off to flanesford sat for 3 nights, Kerne bridge, lower hill court, courtfield, can't bloody wait

Unfortunate to hear that about The Saracens Head. Stayed there with my Son for a week-end and the food and the Staff was very good all things considered. Kept the kitchen open a wee bit later as we were running late as usual. I think down river is Private fishing belonging to Seven Sisters Syndicate.

Stephen

Unfortunate to hear that about The Saracens Head. Stayed there with my Son for a week-end and the food and the Staff was very good all things considered. Kept the kitchen open a wee bit later as we were running late as usual. I think down river is Private fishing belonging to Seven Sisters Syndicate.

Stephen

You might be able to buy tickets for that. I'm sure when we went in the Saracen to get a day ticket they had ones for a fiver or ones for about 25/30 quid. I thought the food was decent in there last year. Only eat there once as we had a cottage over the river so eat there the rest of the time. The staff seemed nice there. They had to keep bringing the ferry over for us for free as we were stopping there. Felt quite bad when the lad brought the ferry over for us as we was going to get breakfast at the pub and when he got over he said they don't do breakfast so we didn't bother crossing lol

Jon, we have booked a cottage opposite the pub in September. Did you fish from the garden or go somewhere else, and was it any good.
Thanks
Mike

Symonds Yat, while a well known place to stay is very limited fishing wise.
Newport AA have the main stretch ( although there may be day ticket arrangements with the pubs etc ), the Biblins syndi is below the rapids ( dead mans shoes ) and immediately above is Prince Albert water. Which is policed and poaching is not tolerated.
Not to mention the fact that the Symonds Yat stretch is very slow, very deep and crawling with canoeists and motorised cruise boats.
Not the place to be in the summer, very poor water.

Due to the meandering nature of the Wye, Flanesford Priory is literally 2 miles away and you can get a day ticket for Adams water, which does have some good fishing. Especially if you do your own thing instead of dropping in the swims already cut.
Just thinking about it now makes me wish I hadn't dropped the ticket..

I'm a member of Newport and PA, and fished Biblins until the syndi was formed.
You're far better off looking further upstream. Hereford AA do day tickets ( albeit 1 rod only ), WUF will rip you off but have lots of stretches, you can turn up and fish above Wilton Bridge at Ross and only pay if the bailiff comes around ( this stretch has been throwing out decent barbel for years ).
Hay Warren is upstream a fair way, probably at the limits of serious coarse fishing, but has done doubles. I forget the price but it is day ticket.
Bredwardine/Letton of course.

Drop me a PM if you wish, I've fished the Wye right down to the tidal stretches above Chepstow.
Everyone knows the stretches I mention above, but there are gems still to be found.
I know for certain I can put you on a better stretch than Symonds Yat

Jon, we have booked a cottage opposite the pub in September. Did you fish from the garden or go somewhere else, and was it any good.
Thanks
Mike

We fished from the garden on the Friday and Sunday but the fishing was poor. We didn't have a single barbel between us. We brought a day ticket from the pub on the Saturday and tried about a mile upstream in the day and had a few chub and eels. On the evening we walked just downstream of the cottage through some trees and there was an opening just before the rapids but had no joy there either. Overall we had chub up to 5lb but it was hard going.
The cottage was lovely though and the garden was nice.

Gwyn and Jon,
Thank you both for your replies.
I have sent you a PM Gwyn.
I am happy to travel up or down stream and generally travel light with one rod, so do not mind a bit of walking to get to a good spot.
Regards to you both.
Mike

Symonds yat

Wouldn't bother fishing symonds yat at this time of year. Pay more for the wye and usk stretches, go early or late. Pleanty of info on their website.:)

I'd agree, way too many people, dogs, bikes and canoes for my liking. Mike lots of day ticket water around Hereford, tickets from the tackle shops.

I did fish that stretch on the Syndicate ticket for a season but wasn't overly keen. BUT, there was one area that I loved fishing, just below Biblins bridge. Fabulous trotting fun there.

Back