• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Beach fishing on uk coastal areas

David Turton

I curently have a 3lb tc carp rod and was wondeeing if this could be used for beach fishing and what leads i could throw out with it and what i could potentially target and catch without breaking the rod

That would be fine for a lot of venues as long as it can cast reasonably with 3 or 4 oz of lead and bait.
You'd be able to land pretty much anything you could find fishing over clean beaches with that.
It would also work ok for float fishing, which depending on location can catch Wrasse, Bass, Pollack, Mackerel.
Just to add, one of my favorite sea rods is a 1.5lb greys specimen rod, great for light legering and float.

Last edited:
That would be fine for a lot of venues as long as it can cast reasonably with 3 or 4 oz of lead and bait.
You'd be able to land pretty much anything you could find fishing over clean beaches with that.
It would also work ok for float fishing, which depending on location can catch Wrasse, Bass, Pollack, Mackerel.
Just to add, one of my favorite sea rods is a 1.5lb greys specimen rod, great for light legering and float.
Thanks Hopfully il be having a go at it soon with a friend 👍

Hi David, ive been using a 2.5tc carp rod for fishing in the River Mersey, at Perch Rock in New Brighton. The river slopes from the Wirral side towards Liverpool. When the tide is out, the Wirral side is empty, but the Liverpool side still has water in it. We walk out and are actually standing in the middle of the river. A lead of 4oz is sufficient to hold bottom, Not catching anything massive, cod, whiteing and flatties upto a couple of pounds at most, but great fun. Good luck.

Hi David, ive been using a 2.5tc carp rod for fishing in the River Mersey, at Perch Rock in New Brighton. The river slopes from the Wirral side towards Liverpool. When the tide is out, the Wirral side is empty, but the Liverpool side still has water in it. We walk out and are actually standing in the middle of the river. A lead of 4oz is sufficient to hold bottom, Not catching anything massive, cod, whiteing and flatties upto a couple of pounds at most, but great fun. Good luck.
Forget the leads and try free lining something like a sandeel. Great way to search out the bass.

Evening David,
Being based in the SW this time of year i often get up the rivers/estuaries in order to get out of the worst of the weather . ive find Cart peeler and black lug really excel whilst water clarity is poor

Back