• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Bass fishing with 'Keith'

Dave Taylor

Just had a week on the Sussex coast fishing for bass and rays.
It was'nt great conditions for bass as I had neap tides and a northerly wind resulting in a millpond instead of a decent surf.
I had two seals in front of me at high tide on monday for a good 20 minutes who seemed quite interested in watching me watching them!
I had the beach to myself and they obviously found my vain attempts at catching bass either amusing or puzzling!:rolleyes:
They just did'nt seem to want to move on,..quite content diving down and catching eels.
When I mentioned it at the tackle shop the next day I was told that there were three of the blighters that regulary patrolled the beach, and often sunbathed on the very same beach where I was staying.
It occurred to me that the fishing might shape up to be a bit harder than I first thought after that bit of info!
Did'nt see another seal until yesterday's high tide,..did'nt see too many bass either!
Best was 7-10 with another at 5-10. Plenty of small schoolies though with a few small thornbacks taking bluey/sandeel cocktails at range.
If anyone is taking family to the beach, word of warning,.. I have never seen so many weaver fish as there are this year. I caught a dozen or so on lugworm, and heard that they were showing up in shrimping nets.
They can give a painful sting from their front dorsel spine and love shallow sandy beaches.;)

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5082-2014-07-12-11-11-43.png

Millpond,..the veiw from my beach chalet.

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5081-5-10-bass.jpg

The 5-10

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5083-2014-07-12-12-17-46.png

Keith?

dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5080-2014-07-10-19-52-44.jpg

Weaverfish.

Have been fishing the same area at Pevensey since the late seventies and have noticed the decline of Dover Sole and Plaice which used to be abundant, even to a novice, as I was back then.[ Still am really ].
It all seemed to change when the quota rules came in from the EA, so , after quickly exausting their cod quota, the Hastings fleet now motor round to P/ Bay and boom the flatties.
Don't blame the guys for trying to make a living but year on year the fish have dissapeared.
PS...All my bass went back...probably destined for a Hastings net! [ Or Keith ]
dt

Interesting that the article mentioned recreational angling Ray.
I have noticed the increase in bass conservation articles in sea fishing mags. over the past few years, probably to coincide with the uptake in lure fishing and the general surge in the species popularity with anglers.
There was an interesting piece in July's edition of 'Sea Angler' talking up the use of circle hooks as a proven way forward for catch and release.
With all the talk and evidence pointing to a decline in bass numbers around our coast I would have thought posing with a dead specimen bass would have made you 'Billy no mates', but tackle shop websites are still full of such pictures.
It is of course a different mindset,..and who am I to sit in judgment?
I expect the penny will drop when the pictures dry up.

dt:)

Back