• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

barbel sculpting

Mark Thompson

Senior Member & Supporter
I have "commissioned" my daughter to sculpt a 15" to 18" long barbel for me.
She has already done a couple of other scaley creatures and the fine detail achieved is quite astonishing, so I thought why not .

As I understand it the fish is modelled in firm clay from a number a close up photos ( which I took :D), then a mould is formed and a casting produced which is cleaned up and painted.
Not entirely sure where I will mount it yet , but she reckons it could go outdoors on a wall if wifey dissaproves of having it indoors !

Wondered whether some might like to see the creation evolve if I put a few photos on here as she slowly works at it step by step over the next few weeks to completion ?

I took some real close up photos of a barbels head ,mouth, chin ,fins etc for this and then enlarged them on the computor,,,the results were quite facinating,,,, give it a go .

Regards Mark

Sounds good Mark, should be very interesting to see what develops!! I think lots of us on here will be watching to see how it comes out.

Hi
sounds a fantastic idea
there would be a great deal of interest from the carp boys and also the trout and Salmon anglers
keep us posted
regards

Thanks for the interest I will start posting pictures soon.

Although my daughter and I both agree it would be good for her to catch or at least see one first hand.(its an artist thing I guess) She needs a few more photos to work from anyway.

Mark

A good sculpture can reveal more than a photo ... so yes she does need to see some real barbel to get the feel for them if she's going to capture it effectively. Thanks Mark, this should be a really interesting thread, I for one will be keeping an eye on it.

Back